RC1 of Antivir Premium w/ Firewall released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kdm31091, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I believe it's only for betatesters. Anyone tried this out yet? I'm about to. One thing that worries me is it says "completely new look". I always liked Antivir's simple interface, I hope they didn't clutter it.

Feedback on the RC1 anyone?

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Avira Premium Security Suite Release Candidate 1

Just recieved an e-mail from avira beta team telling me about the release of security suite RC 1.
    New/Improved:
    - Completely new look

- The Adapter rules have different names which are more meaningful

- The Application rules have to different views depending on some configurations (see below)

- A new configuration panel is available under Control Center -> Firewall -> Settings

where you can configure how the firewall will react and let you configure it

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Re: Avira Premium Security Suite Release Candidate 1

Yeh!!! I received the e-mail too, but the support team never replied to my problem regarding compability with Safe'n'Sec...:'(

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It is possible the issue may have been overlooked; it sounds strange but it does happen even when you get otherwise excellent support from a company. I would suggest that you forward your original messages about the issue to the support team and write a fresh note on the issue again.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Up and running and it looks great. Tweaked the firewall some and changed the splash screen. They have done a great job to be able to provide all of this in a light fashion.

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have sent the bug report twice but I receive no replies yet. In my account, I can only submit my bug report but there is no way to check their status after the submission. I also receive no reply for another bug report which I have submitted further information. Maybe they are too busy and have overlooked. :(

7. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Uh not to be rude but I kind of made a thread about this already that nobody seemed to notice? And it was before this one...I feel unliked lol couldn't anyone have READ and found my thread before making this one? It makes me feel defeated even when I made the thread 1st.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150654

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I did notice it, but since most people have already posted in this thread, I decided to post on this thread as well. :)

Do not take it harshly, many times when there are two threads on the same topic, people tend to post in the thread that is more recent, or "at the top" of the forum. The topic remains the same and the purpose of the thread is fulfilled anyway.

I would now request the moderators to close the other thread as this one is the place of discussion at the moment. :)

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, this thread appears to be on top when I viewed the forum today after receiving the e-mail from Avira. I didn't notice that there is another thread already there. :p

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I got my e-mail also. I went to betatest>downloads, but it still shows beta 1. Where did you get the RC 1 download?

EDIT......Figured it out. I had to go to my products and check the RC 1 box. Kind of a strange process. I'm waiting for my next e-mail.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

When you log into the beta site, go to my products and check the box for approval for the RC download. They will email you back when you are approved. It didnt take to long.

12. Graystoke

You beat me to my Edit. :D

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I installed the RC1 a couple of hours ago. It is running well. I had not been trialing the beta, as I do not consider that I am very competent, and hate to melt my computer. However, I figured the RC1 would run pretty well, and it has so far.

I wonder what the suite will cost when released.

I have tried the Classic and Premium. I like Avira so far better than anything except KAV6. However, at the prices, I am more likely to buy Avira for my second computer. I already have a two year license for KAV6, and am not sorry.

I was wondering if the firewall would cause problems, but I removed Kerio, and it is doing well with a minimum of "questions." I hated to train another firewall, but so far so good.

Jerry

14. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

Just checked my mail and I also got messeged by AVIRA. Hope they have improved their firewall. Last version I tested failed nearly every single leaktest on firewallleaktester.com. And since Leaktest are something a lot of people consider as being important, AVIRA might get some bad reviews if they don't do something about it

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

try it now.:) also check the option to lock windows host file.

16. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I try to run Outpost 4.0 together with the Avira beta and Avira "pre-empts" the Outpost firewall when an application tries to use the network, i.e. I don't see any prompts for Allow/Block from Outpost. Tech. support says that other firewalls should be turned off when running the Avira firewall, so I imagine other software firewalls may have issues with Avira too.

17. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

Ok took your advice and tested the firewall again. Virusguard disabled of course :rolleyes:

Antivir Firewall only does good when you switch to Expert mode and tick alle Options. On standart settings it still fails most Leaktests. Here results for standart settings:

failed: 1; 5; 8; 7 (2 - 8 points); 9; 11 (failed all 4 tests); 12; 13; 15; 16 (failed 1 - kinda passed 2); 18; 19;

passed: 1; 4; 14 (which quite surprised me); 17;

never work on my pc: 2; 3; 6; 10;

(all test from firewallleaktester.com).

You could now argue that of course then you will just always put all the Options in Expert moder, but for an average user expects a good protection already in normal settings and not needing to switch to an "expert" mode which a not so informed user might be afraid of, since fearing he might damage something coz he doesn consider himself an expert. (what a sentence. hope you get what I mean)

And the funny thing is if you tick all Firewall options, you don get specific programs popups anymore, but just "windows explorer is trying to connect to the internet", although im just loading a page in Firefox. which gets even strange because in my firewall settings firefox is set to allow in all connections, but I denied the windows explorer popup. now if I allow windows explorer to connect, suddenly firefox loads the pages again. and thats not really safer, because you only now get explorer popups for every app. and you need to allow the windows explorer rule or you cant even surf the net. so its quite a free for all pass.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Is that the new RC release or the beta.

19. Graystoke

Registered for the RC 1, and still waiting for an e-mail conformation. How long does it take for them to notify you?

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

they may be sleeping, you should get in soon. It is worth the wait.:)

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It took me less than an hour. I do not remember how long.
    I had not been running the beta, even though I was registered, and had downloaded a copy.

I am not very good at troubleshooting a computer, so I wanted to wait until the last phase. When I downloaded the RC1 the indication was that the German version was English so I ended up dl both. Same way with the license. I knew that the one with "en" was English, but thought maybe the one that said English version was it. I was wrong. So download the one with "en" in the designator.

EDIT
    I am wondering what the cost of the suite will be. I don't think there is an Avira suite at this time.

Best,
    Jerry

22. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Theres no point running the avira beta release and outpost at the same time as you are running 2 simultaneous firewalls which may conflict.

23. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

damn,i downloaded the beta instead of RC1 it means...
    Can anyone post the screenshot for RC1..

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, pls post some screenshots.

25. Graystoke

Received my e-mail and installed RC 1. Wow, this is great. What a difference between this and the beta. I had problems with the MailGuard in the beta, no problems now. Everything running smooth and light. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.