rc1 changelog

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by ellison64, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just wondering (seeing as this is the beta forum) why updates fixes etc dont seem to be publicized.For example ...i know that theres a problem with the gui on w2000 and ive had confirmation from eset support that this has been fixed ,however i dont see any changelog or fix history of what exactly has been reported or fixed .Even if eset hasnt released a final yet i would have thought a written update of what exactly they've fixed during rc1 stage would have been published here.Am i looking in the wrong place? and if not why isnt eset publicizing the bug fixes so that rc1 users/testers know whats going on.
    ellison

2. ellison64

Sooo ...doesnt anyone know?
    ellison

3. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

There are two ways of public beta-testing a product , two ways I can think of:

1) Keeping very close "relation" between the vendor and testers
    2) Picking up information from users but giving users less information

The first one (1) means that the vendor starts with a public release of the software . Then the testing begins - testers download the version , begin to test , start to report bugs / provide suggestions . The developers of that vendor get in touch with the testers , get the info , try to reproduce it , release a fix , push it to users . This continues everyday . Developers do some internal testing but keeping in touch with the testers is perhaps something more important . This way , testers can get new beta build each and every day or every week but they are given more details about what is fixed . In other words , testers play bigger and more important role in the play called "Building the new product" .

This way of testing is used by Kaspersky , for example . Just users are kept closer to the process of creating the new thing.

The other way (2) means means that the vendor starts with a public release of the software . Then the testing begins - testers download the version , begin to test , start to report bugs / provide suggestions . The vendor's representatives get in touch with the testers , get the info , try to reproduce it and push that info to the developers . Developers fix the issues and release a fix but most of the time this fix is internal only (if the bug is crutial then the fix is released for the public) . Developers as well as other staff of that vendor continue testing internally.

From time to time , when developers have made something new (fixed different issues , created something new) , the vendor decides to push new release to the testers . And the process repeates : testers download the version , begin to test , start to report bugs / provide suggestions . The vendor's representatives get in touch with the testers , get the info , try to reproduce it and push that info to the developers . Developers fix the issues and release an internal fix.
    This way the main testers are not the people but the vendor's staff with help of the public beta-testers .
    The aim of this way of testing is not to keep the mass public close to the process of creating but simply to make a good new product . We should NOT care about the current release we have , we should not care about what is now . We should care about what will be tomorrow in the commercial release.Eset released just 5 releases since the first public beta but this doesn't mean they are not working . No , they are quite busy testing and improving , and preparing for tomorrow.

The second way is used by ESET , Panda , Microsoft (and other companies but these two just come to my mind now :) )

E.g. Microsoft > Beta testting IE7 : Internal beta1 build , Public beta2 , Public beta3 and release candidates (~3 public builds but a lot of internal job done) . Windows Defender (Only beta2 public) - just one public build but they managed to make it not buggy for the final with internal work and help of beta-testers

I hope I have explained it simply .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  5. crummock

crummock Registered Member

I agree with your description and interpretation Hi_TECH but I think the point the two previous people (and others elsewhere) are making is that they would prefer ESET to be a bit more like option 1.

From my own experience of beta testing ESS and other unrelated products you certainly feel happier and more valued as a user AND CUSTOMER when the first, more inclusive, approach is taken.

I too have contacted ESET during the course of this beta, both on this forum and privately, and I have to say it's hard work. In some cases they appear to be totally unresponsive as several posts on this forum seem to suggest.

I respect ESET's right to run their company as they see fit but in return they cannot be surprised if people feel unhappy, unappreciated and excluded from the process. Maybe, like a certain North American operation, they don't mind if a portion of the customer base is not happy ??

6. ellison64

Hello .hitechboy..
    Eset does indeed seem to be working this way ,however i cant see any reason not to have a published changelog for the general user in this forum ,just to keep users informed.I dont think many people care that they havent released build after build publicly which has bugs fixed,but i do think folks like to know that reported bugs have been fixed in the internal builds.
    ellison

7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

amen....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.