raw sockets and packet sniffers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello. i wanted to try Analogx's Packetmon, but it needs raw sockets enabled to work :( . ive disabled raw sockets. before i try something else i wanted to find out if other packet sniffers need raw sockets enabled? and if you know a _simple GUI_ based program i can use, and does it need raw sockets enabled. thanks. :)

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi iceni60,

I use Ethereal (freeware) and CommView (shareware). They do not require raw sockets. Ethereal does require WinPcap. SmartSniff is another free sniffer. No installer; just extract to a folder and run it. It requires WinPcap as well.

Nick

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, Nick. thanks again for your help, and explaining it to me :) . i'll go and try one out . :)

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Are you still worried about Raw Sockets? That whole Raw Sockets thing is what brought the world to Steve Gibson's website at GRC. It has since been exposed as exactly what 99% of the security community said it was, which was a bogus concern. Last I heard, Gibson had backed off of all of that, but pride has kept him from admitting he was wrong. Interesting reading about the subject:
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=27289&redir=1

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks Gerard :) . it did make me wonder why Analogx would release something which might make you unsafe o_O .

i'll read the article you linked, thanks for that. but, since ive had my computer ive always thought of raw sockets as a danger, admittedly, because of grc, so right now i dont want to re-enable them, not because i dont believe you, but because it would feel odd to do so. but, ill read the article and see how i feel afterward.
    thanks for letting me know, Gerard.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I don't blame you a bit. After doing some checking around, my guess is you'll feel better. Good weekend to 'ya, my friend.
    GM

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

and to you too :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.