ravmon.sys issues? (RAV antivirus)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rerun2, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Ive recently been looking for an antivirus for a friend. But because my friend is not very computer savy and resources are a concern I decided to look into RAV (despite the whole MS thing).

I put it onto a test machine and loaded it up on 2000pro with SP4 and latest patches. I also did some tightening of the OS and installed some other programs. But whenever I logged onto the internet (via dial up) I would get a BSOD . The stop code would also point to ravmon.sys. So Im like ok, probably just a software conflict or maybe something with SP4 and the latest patches. So I formatted the hard drive to start again. This time I installed everything one by one and logged into the internet every so often to see if I could pinpoint the problem. Had no problems so I updated RAV with the latest updates and noticed that it downloaded another ravmon.sys. So Im thinking great, maybe they updated it and corrected the problem. Right after I did my tightening of the OS, the BSOD appeared once again as soon as I logged onto the internet. So I decided to backtrack and remove each configuration one at a time to try to pinpoint which one it was. I was about to give up when miraculously I was able to log onto the internet without the BSOD. The problem seems to be with this registry configuration to stop port 445 from listening. http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windows2000/close445.htm .

If someone could confirm this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.