RAS problems - unable to PUSH installs or manage Clients

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tanstaafl, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem that has me baffled...

I have recently purchased the Enterprise version of NOD32...

All of our computers are running Windows XP Pro sp2 with all updates/patches...

The first computer I wanted to install RAS on simply would not load the RAS service when rebooted, so the RAC wouldn't connect to it (nothing to connect to). It appears to be a conflict with a phone system monitoring application (tracks the number of calls and what extensions they were on). So, ok, I decided to postpone troubleshooting that, and just get it installed and tested on a different computer, so...

RAS install started up fine on the second computer, so I create the http mirror, no problems. But this time, major problems communicating with the Clients. When I go to the Remote Install Tab, I can browse the local network and see all of the computers on my network. I can tell it to find all unprotected computers, and it finds them all, which is as it should be. But...

When I drag a target computer to the Install pane and click 'Get Info' (I think thats what it is - I'm at home right now so can't go look), it is unable to communicate with the Client - it cannot even tell what version of Windows is running.

Here's the wierdest thing...

If I try to push the default package to the client, it says it fails - but the dang thing actually does install on the client!?

If I then go to the client, and add my local mirror server, it communicates fine and updates from the mirror - but the RAC says that it fails!?

I just got through pushing out an enterprise installation of SpySweeper Pro, and it worked fine - and before you ask - I was having these problems with NOD32 long before I installed SpySweeper Pro.

Now, I will readily admit - I like to lock down my computers, so it is very likely something that I removed from Windows (I use XPLite to remove Outlook Express, the Windows Address Book, Telnet and a lot of other crap).

I have tried completely disabling the Windows Firewall on both the RAS and the target Client to no avail (the install fails immediately with the Firewall off, and takes a couple of minutes to time-out/fail with it enabled). When the Firewall is enabled, I do have File/Print Sharing and ICMP echo replies enabled.

I'm about at my wits end. I have sent Kirk at Eset a TCPdump of a PUSH attempt, but he hasn't been able to tell me anything (yet).

I really like NOD32 (I installed it manually on my computer about 2 weeks ago), but I really don't want to have to go around to every computer to install and manage it.

I sure would appreciate any ideas anyone might have for where to look for the problem.

Any Eset guys that want to help me troubleshoot tomorrow, I'll be happy to go into the office for a while.

In frustration,

Charles

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Charles,
    as to the problem starting the RA server service, please send the nod32ra.log from the program files/eset/ra/server folder to support@eset.com with a link to this thread (provided you would like to move the RA server to the former server).

Since I have no clue as what error is returned when trying to roll out NOD32 on the workstations, please send a screenshot of the error to aforementioned email address and attach your ra log as well.

3. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Oh, I'm way past that...

As I said, I've been working with Kirk at Eset for a few weeks now. I'm sure he's not working on my case exclusively (most likely only when I call and bug him), but I have sent him *many* logs, AIDA32 dumps, ethereal dumps, etc..

The errors all seem to point to some kind of authentication problem, possibly with the IPC$ share... the basic tests he had me do all seemed to show the IPC$ share as accessible from the RAS, but ... well, the problem persists...

I use a program called XPLite, and have removed a bunch of non-essential stuff from windows (outlook express, windows address book, telnet, tours, etc), and it is entirely possible that something that I removed is used somehow by NOD32, but nothing Kirk has had me try has helped.

I just found this forum yesterday, so will be posting follow-ups on Monday when I get back in the office.

I just wish that NOD32 had some built in tests for all of the protocols and shares that it uses to test the connectivity, or that the errors were less vague.

Anyway, I sure hope someone in this forum can help me figure out the problem, or I'm gonna have to return the s/w.

Thanks

Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.