RansomOff

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by co22, Mar 28, 2017.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

If you still have the latest dump, they would appreciate if you could send it through ...

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Unfortunately I do not have any.. After the three BSODs my system became unstable (hanged even without doing anyting) and I ran some tweaker tools in desperation (Bleachbit, CCleaner etc.) to fix up things (along with disk checkup, system file checkup etc.), which fortunately helped to resolve the problems.

3. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

We were getting ready to release the next update but now with this report we will delay a bit longer while we work with @sg09 and hopefully gain some useful info to figure out what's going on.

4. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Thanks to @sg09 he was able to re-create the crash and sent us some dump files to analyze. While we have identified where the crash occurs we haven't yet identified the root cause. But we hope to get this fixed shortly and get an update released.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for bringing us up to speed on that HeiDef.

6. paulderdash

Any success?

7. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Unfortunately no. We haven't been able to re-create yet although we think it's related to the language setting. That could explain why this hasn't been reported by other users or not easily reproducible. So we are still working at it. At some point, we will release the update regardless but definitely would like to figure out what's going on if possible.

8. jimb949

jimb949 Registered Member

It's been almost two months now and still no new version. I wonder if ransomoff isn't being developed anymore?

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

He's probably busy with the new GUI.

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Indeed...and chasing up that finlal issue he mentioned a little back, that this have dump info on but are having trouble replicating...let's give the man a chance to come up with the good as he wishes to deliver them, folks.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ransom0ff is proven to be quite a formidable addition for those who are able to squeeze it in their security lineup like some us have.

I threw things at it that should and would have toasted a system flat, but this puppy has some very sharp reversals that drive that junk back in a flash then logs the offender where it can't lay around and pop up sometime again later. That is it's solo performance.

Tandem it with your other usual security solutions and it takes a whole lot of anxiety out of matters that might bypass other solutions.

In my extensive testing's I only resorted to a backup image just once, all other experiments were in the Raw with just Ransom0ff!!

12. paulderdash

I hope so. He hasn't responded to a PM, and normally he is very responsive. Maybe they are having a break.

13. jimb949

Me too, I sent him a PM and never heard back. He would usually reply the same day.

14. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Sorry everyone. I apologize for the late responses. Been super busy and there's been some other exciting things going on with the company. But yes RansomOff is still being developed.

In fact, we are almost done with the new UI. You can check out a video of it in action here (https://youtu.be/8LxkovkkE9o).

Shouldn't be too much longer before we release it. We aren't going to bother releasing an update with the HIPS-Lite until the new UI is complete. Doesn't make sense to double up the work when the old UI is going away anyway.

Again, apologies on the lateness.

15. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Just to give a bit of a background on the new UI. It's a complete re-write in a whole new framework. When we started working on the redesign we were hoping to be able to just use the original code base but after building various mockups and trying to do things the original framework just wasn't meant to do, we realized a re-write was necessary. We are now using WPF (Windows Presentation Framework) which allows for really rich graphical interfaces. Unfortunately the time just kind of got away from us as there was a learning curve. However, we have solved many of the issues that we ran into and are now in the home stretch. There are a few more small pieces that need converted over and while we have tested it fairly well, we'll have to do a deep dive to make sure it works as expected. Once I'm confident it's stable, we'll do a limited release to the brave souls who like living on the edge.

But thanks for everyone's patience and sticking with RansomOff.

16. paulderdash

Will an import of saved settings still work with the new version?

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You! Heidef for a very thorough brief on the New Ransom0ff and what to expect!

18. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Of course. The settings and options are staying the same and all the features in the old are being converted to the new.

19. Rasheed187

It's looking pretty good, nice job. :thumb:

20. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Thanks. Still a work in progress and things will probably change a little bit by the time we release it but glad you think it looks nice.

21. jimb949

Are you thinking of changing the taskbar icon? It would be nice if you changed it to the capital R with the red shield that I saw in your video.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  22. HeiDef

HeiDef Developer

Yes. That will be changed.

23. paulderdash

Kinda liked the old one :). But when it comes to UI, there seem to be so many opinions, as witnessed on MalwareTips ...

24. Rasheed187

Yes, it looks more smooth and professional. Will definitely take it for a test drive if other people won't report any big problems.

25. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I like the new interface. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.