Ranking & Comparing Antivirus Software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Butters, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butters

Butters Registered Member

Does anyone have a good source for test results of Antivirus software showing how they do head to head? I use NOD32 myself, but I don't have any quantified reason for doing so aside from their own marketing, and my experiences. It would be nice to have objective data. Which ones are the highest rated based on actual testing & detection rates?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Butters you might check here or here for some info.

bigc

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

av-comparatives.org is a good place to start. Read the FAQs before jumping into the test results (OK, I know you won't do that..., but read them afterwards and then go reread the test results...).

Blue

4. Butters

Butters Registered Member

Thank you. That is a great resource, exactly what I was looking for. So what is more useful to the average user, the results of "On Demand Comparative" testing or the "Proactive/Retrospective" testing? I notice that my antivirus, NOD32, does well with ITW as they claim, but falls short in terms of On Demand when compared to McAfee, Kaspersky, Panda and Symantec, etc.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Both are important.
    All of the programs tested on av-comparatives will give the average user, good protection. If you like NOD, it stops malware reaching/running on your system, and it runs well on your computer, then it is the best AV for you ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  6. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

7. TAP

TAP Registered Member

It's hard to doing an interpretation of such results in the right way, one have to read and try to undertand so many aspects in AV scenario before he/she get to know the way to go. :)

The real-world AV tests/results and the best solution for one environament is not just all about the best overall detection rates or xxx VB100% logos or some type of marketing hype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.