Random undocumented serious error on update/MrxSMB 3019 on numerous clients

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jeremyf, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyf

jeremyf Registered Member

Hi, I have 18 client machines, and overall really I love Nod32. However these two issues continually occur, and I cannot find the answer to either of them. Can a mod or developer please give me an answer to these two issues?

1) Randomly, but pretty consistently over time, one or more machine will suddenly decide to go tits up in terms of updating. The message is always "undocumented serious error 0x101a", and a reboot seems to clear it up every time. Is that the solution? Guess what, I don't want to micro-manage rebooting clients that develop this issue randomly over time. Please FIX THIS ISSUE!

2) On numerous clients, and again, it goes in and out, seemingly randomly, I get the fairly ubiquitous "Mrxsmb error 3019" in the event log when browsing any networked drive. This message appears in the event log after EVERY click in a networked drive on SOME machines, and does not appear at all on some others. Un-installing Nod32 ALWAYS fixes the problem, and re-installing SOMETIMES brings the problem back, and sometimes it goes away! Weird right? Yup. And no, excluding virus scan on networked drives does NOT make the issue go away either... Also, even after I think I have fixed teh issue, (it went away after a un-install and re-install, it can come back days later like nothing happened; but again, un-installing Nod32 ALWAYS fixes the problem...)

Please, please, please, give me an answer on these two issues. I have searched through these forums and found these two issues mentioned many times on their own before, WITH NO CLEAR RESOLUTION to either of them to be found anywhere! Can we get a final answer on this or what?

Frustrated!

2. monidax

monidax Registered Member

I have the same issue as you pointed out in issue #2, we have this issue on every client in the office using EAV 32bit 3.0.684, It happens for every single directory you open on a network share. It does not happen when EAV has been removed from the computer.

All of the office computers are running windows xp proffesional 32 bit SP3

edit: out of curiosity i installed EAV 4 RC and the problem is present with it as well.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If it's an emergency you are probably better phoning for support.

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

What version are you using? The clients that I had throwing the 0x101a error on updating were fixed by moving to a newer build.

5. jeremyf

nod32 av business edition 3.0.669.0

yes, i have read the thread where this WAS an issue in a previous version that SEEMED to be finally fixed; however, something is still obviously going on in 3.0.669.0...

this is an interesting statement/post. thanks for that thought... :cautious:

6. SmackyTheFrog

Build 684 has some non-descript "stability fixes" in it. It is worth trying out the latest build before you rip your hair out trying to track down this issue as it may have already been addressed.

7. jeremyf

A good suggestion, I am reluctant to do so however, even though I only have about 20 client systems, I don't want to load beta software onto them, esp. when the problem is so intermittent.

See above in my OP for just HOW intermittent the problem is. If I implement the beta version on just a machine or two, I couln't be sure that was the solution, because uninstalling re-installing the exact same software version SOMETIMES yields a TEMPORARY fix.

My purpose of this post was to hopefully get someone "in the know" (a developer?) that could tell me whether the fix I am looking for is already included in a future version, not for me to blindly act.

8. SmackyTheFrog

Build 684 is a stable release, not a beta.

9. monidax

as i posted above none of the newer releases beta or otherwise fix issue #2 as for issue#1 i couldnt say i dont recal getting that error.

10. jeremyf

:) A stable release with "stability issues"? lol...

In all seriousness, I appreciate your responses, and will consider it.

Do you happen to know by chance if a "changelog" or list of changes from the latest released version, and this version you mention exists? I suppose a release date estimate would be hoping for too much, usually it would be "when it's ready" and I don't have a problem with that, just wondering...

Anyway, thanks, and any further input from anyone else would be appreciated...

11. SmackyTheFrog

12. jeremyf

Really? Here is a few threads that are regarding this issue...but no solution, other than "reboot machine" is forthcoming...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213436&highlight=0x101a
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231208&highlight=0x101a
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=229258&highlight=0x101a
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=227467&highlight=0x101a
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=226944&highlight=0x101a

there is this:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN537

but my question is, why in the heck would a "corrupted installation" occur so often? (the other point in the above link about third-party AV does NOT apply in my case.)

as near as I can tell, this is a long-standing issue, affecting many people, with no solution! :(

13. jeremyf

14. SmackyTheFrog

Have you tried disabling netbios over TCP/IP on one of the systems? So long as you have functional DNS/WINS you don't need it for anything and it just added extra noise as SMB gets encapsulated in NetBT.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Your frustration is real and Eset needs to respond and soon.

16. jeremyf

Tried this now, no effect on the issue...thanks for the suggestion though.

17. jeremyf

Hah, I don't wonder if V4 will fix either of these... I am pretty sure it won't...

I sure would appreciate a response, even an acknowledgement, from someone involved in development, that these issues are even being looked at...

18. artsky

artsky Registered Member

on a lighter side, as my boss always say, if things were 100% perfect, we wouldnt have our support job to begin with :D

i dont know if im just too laxed a sysad, but we also have the same issues as you have and we have 1200 licenses. only some have issues like that but we just let it pass. as long as we dont have a major virus outbreak then we can always relax and have our morning cup of coffee afterwards.

19. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I have got Undocumented Serious errors 0%04 or something of that sort also.. This was a big problem in some of the earlier releases most notably 3.0.672 for myself.. I got the same undocumented error today *I get emailed to my blackberry*.. The big problem I had with this error is that it happened on a couple of my production servers so simply rebooting it will not work.. I just pushed a new clean install with a default config to the server.. I noticed with 3.0.684 that this error went away for the most part.. You may check out 3.0.685 and now the 4.0.314.0..

I know ESET just fixed some kind of language issue when they released 3.0.685 but never the less who really knows what else they find along the way, and go "Oh ****" and dump it in an update as well without documenting it.. I know I wouldn't want to tell everyone I work with how much **** I have went back in, and found that I have done, then shook my head and hoped nobody else noticed.

20. monidax

Looks like i spoke too soon as i am now looking at the error that is stopping my server from updating right in the face, and i really dont have plans of restarting that any time soon but now i have to make an exception and stay late one night to restart this beast.

This really needs a response from an eset staff member, this stuff is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth

21. elapsed

What version are you using?

22. jeremyf

I can't help but believe that if we continue to comment enough in this thread, calmly but firmly stating the fact that these two issues need solving(some would perhaps only be able to attest to one of the issues), and we maintain a professional attitude, and we don't start swearing or carrying on, a kind Eset employee will grace us with their presence and do their best to assuage our concerns.

Otherwise, I am having a hissy fit! :)

23. jeremyf

are you asking me? I am using 3.0.669.0 Business edition... you must not be asking me...

I am getting depressed about this whole thing now...

24. elapsed

I was asking monidax but my point was a lot of people say this is fixed in 3/684/v4 so I was going to suggest updating to the latest v3 or v4 and see if the problem still occurs.

25. jeremyf

While I appreciate your help, I thought this suggestion had already been made in this thread?

Monidax himself posts above that he has tried the latest versions, including the V4 RC...

I would really appreciate it if there was a sign from Eset that they even acknowledge these problems still exist...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.