Random Password Generation

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tech Manager, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

I've just completed the programming of a webform to generates random passwords (for those of us concerned about security).

The page offers the following choices:

Number of passwords: 1-99

Password length: 5-64 characters

Password complexity: Several levels of complexity are available, including numbers, lowercase and uppercase letters, punctuation and other special characters.

I would appreciate it if you would try out the webform and give me any comments about the data it creates or offer your :D suggestions on improvements.

http://www.countryipblocks.net/create_passwords.php

Thanks in advance.

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

It's fast and convenient, but the results don't appear to be particularly random. I created 99 maximum-length passwords using all available characters, which I combined into a single file. A simple occurrences count showed that numbers were used about twice as often as uppercase or lowercase characters, with the various symbols (a partial symbol set) about halfway between them. I ran three tests, and the pattern is both predictable and easily identifiable. How are you generating these passwords?

3. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

Interesting analysis and one I'll have to study. Php functions are producing the random characters from an array.

4. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

you probably know this but some prog ask you do move a mouse etc to generate a random seed as a programming function ".random" cannot be "truely random"

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I use a bingo ball dispenser I got from HugoMart when I need random generated passwords using 25 of the 75 numbers.

There are about 5.52*1026, (exactly 155 × 145 × 135 × 125 × 114) possible arrangements of the numbers on a bingo card.

Combine that with a cipher shift for added security.

Generating passwords outside your control leads to possible interception.
    This password generator is in the ether, and from the ether is transmitted to me, then I use this for my needs.

Not a great model. I think you should ask Alice and Bob for a code book.

(This is my NetBios post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.