Random ekrn.exe crashes

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ssapp80, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssapp80

ssapp80 Registered Member

Just swapped over from Kaspersky's Business AV product recently to ESET. The large majority of my machines are GX270's P4's 1gb ram running WinXP SP3. Since the upgrade I have a few machines that are absolutlely giving me a fit. Random ESET crashes followed by internet activity not responding......multiple reboots throughout the day......that kind of thing. Looking through Event Viewer I'm seeing alot of the following below. App ver is 4.2.64 with latest signatures.

Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 4.2.64.12, faulting module ekrnEpfw.dll, version 4.2.64.12, fault address 0x00001982.

Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 4.2.64.12, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0x0000100b.

Any suggestions?

2. rolands

rolands Registered Member

I have a problem that looks a little the same, well i think. When you open Internet Explorer and add a new tab and start to open websites, the computer slows down. When i look at the taskmanager i can see that ekrn.exe is at 80 - 100 % cpu usage.

Facts:
    NOD32 4.2.64, with latest signatures
    Windows XP SP3
    Dell GX270 (but also Fujitsu Siemens and some others)

When i use the command "netsh winsock reset" the problem is less present, and when i also disable internet explorer as a known browser at the NOD32 computer config, the problem is gone. But this isn't really a solution, i can't just run this netsh command at a restricted desktop for all the computers. And the option to disable internet explorer as a known browser, i can find this in the local ESET config, but not trough the policy manager from the ESET management console.

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

My initial thought is that perhaps an orphaned driver or service was left from the previously-installed anti-malware software.

To determine whether that is the case, you can contact a support engineer and have them examine an ESET SysInspector log from one of the affected computers to see if this is the case.

You can download a copy of ESET SysInspector from ESET, create a log file and mail it to support@eset.sk for analysis by a support engineer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. rolands

rolands Registered Member

Just opened a support case.

I did notice that i use version 4.2.58.3, the antivirus signature is 5432 and is updated, but the client is not updated automaticly as far as i can see at this moment.

5. ssapp80

Done

I ended up having to run sysinspector twice.....the first time I ran it the machine locked up before I could save the log. The logs that I submitted were just after a reboot. Is there going to be less useful information in the one I submitted?

6. agoretsky

Hello,

I think the post-reboot log will be fine if the issue is, in fact, related to leftover remnants of previously-installed software, since those should still show up in the log. On the other hand, if the issue is relating to something that was started up manually, additional examinations may need to be done by ESETs support engineers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. ssapp80

What is the typical turn around time for a response from support? Haven't heard from them yet.

8. agoretsky

Hello,

I would expect a response within one business day or less.

You might want to try calling, instead. In North America, ESET's support can be reached toll-free at +1 (866) 343-3738 during office hours.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.