Ran a Shields up test at GRC and have a problem.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by notageek, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

How do I close Ports 1025 and 1036? I scanned with Shields Up and it claims that these ports are open. I'm using Sygate and never happened before.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, first don't assume that the test results are correct. They could be, but many online scanners, even that one, can produce bogus results. Often it is a good idea to cross check with a few other online scanners. Perhaps using the Advanced Port Scanner at pcflank can confirm this. You can specify specific ports to be scanned using that particular scanner page.

Secondly, check your system itself and see if those ports are actually open locally. (netstat -an)

If the ports are open locally and Sygate is letting unsolicited inbound connections in, then yes you'll need to check your firewall configs to see what changed and why these are being allowed now if they never were before.

3. notageek

Thanks Low water Mark. I'm using Sygate scan to scan now. I'll post back if I get them same.

4. notageek

Ok I scanned with PC Flanks APS on port 1025 and got this:
    Port: Status Service Description
    1025 open n/a n/a

And this is what I get when I scan 1036:
    Port: Status Service Description
    1036 open n/a n/a

Should I triy another Post scanning web site.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi notageek, These are usually SVChost.exe "Generic Host processes for Win32 services". I would say that you can block these in your Sygate application list or set to "Ask", you may have allowed them as they are used for many things, if you have the Pro version you can create a specific rules.
    I have many instances as these are listening on my local network :)
    Here is a screenshot from Port Explorer that may throw some light on it for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2004
  6. notageek

Ok I think I sovled the problem. It was SVChost opening port 1025. I had to block the act as server.

7. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

Most applications do not need to act as a server. The only program that I can think of at the moment that needs to act as a server is a file sharing program. You might want to go through your applications and uncheck 'act as a server'. It would make your computer more secure, but be sure to uncheck only a couple at a time.

8. notageek

Well a few other non file sharing programs also needs to act as a server. I think theres a few ISP's that do.

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Open a "dos" box: start > run > cmd
    Then type : netstat -ano
    You will see here your ports and what is running there (PID-number)

10. notageek

Thanks. I found that it was My ISP that was opening 1036. I got that fixed by blocking IMCP traffic.

11. mitch

mitch Guest

on GRC>COM
    run the t programs he calls
    Your Three Musketeers

it's more a windows problem than a sygate one, that is what i did on mine when i first started playing with sygate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.