RAM Upgrade Question?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wat0114, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Currently my motherboard, A8n32sli Deluxe, has 2 GB of Corsair RAM, unbuffered, non-ecc RAM. I would like to increase the memory to 4GB. Is it possible to leave that RAM in place and install 2GB of a different brand memory, such as Kingston or Patriot (what I have in mind), as long as I maintain the required specs - PC3200, unbuffered, non-ecc? I'm looking at a cost savings of ~ $80.00 going this route, if possible.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That should be no problem at all. They don't even have to be the same specs, in theory, though that usually helps. Check you motherboard manual or the ASUS website for the manual for the supported types.

Note that most RAM makers have wizards to help you choose. Here's my canned text on that:

These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.
    Crucial - Memory Advisor
    Corsair - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
    GeIL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
    Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
    Mushkin - Advisor
    OCZ - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
    Patriot - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
    PNY - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
    SuperTalent - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)​
    The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.
    Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
    MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
    18004Memory – Configurator
    4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
    TigerDirect - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)​

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you, Bill, excellent information! Those links you provided are also what I was looking for but couldn't seem to find :thumb:

4. Bill_Bright

I would certainly buy a pair of sticks and insert them as a pair as instructed in your manual to ensure you are using Dual Channel. According to your manual, this requires the first pair to be installed in slots 1 and 3 and the 2nd pair in slots 2 and 4. Also note on page 2-12 it says,
    Having all 4 sticks the same size is not a requirement for dual-channel, but apparently ASUS thinks it will provide better performance than 2 x 1Gb plus 2 x 512Mb, for example.

Finally, just as a reminder, make sure you unplug from the wall to remove all standby voltages before opening the case, and then to touch bare metal of the case to put you and the computer at the same potential, eliminating any risk from a static discharge before reaching in.

Then while in there, make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust, and that all cables and connections are tight and secure.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The precautions I'll certainly follow; I'm comfortable with installing/uninstalling hardware, just not certain until now about the mixing of two memory brands. It looks like the Corsairs are already in slots A1 & B1, so I should just be able to drop (carefully, of course ;) ) the new sticks into A2 & B2 and all should work. A friend of mine looked up the specs on the corsairs and feels it will be difficult to match their latency specs with stock Kingston or Patriot sticks - the two I'm considering, so I would imagine the speed of the slower RAM will prevail. That's alright with me. The machine is approaching 4 yrs now, so I don't want to fork out the big $$ for another matched pair of the Corsairs. I'm most interested in utilizing 4GB memory so Win 7's x64 can fully realize its memory management to full effectiveness.

Attached Files:

6. Bill_Bright

Sounds like a plan. Note that even if the new pair is slightly slower than the first pair, the over all performance boost you will see by having more RAM will more than compensate.

One more word of caution - while inside, take note of your power supply. If it is 4 years old too, it may have been sized for back then, with little head room for added or upgraded hardware. Although there's usually enough horsepower for more RAM, if other hardware has been added since new too, especially a newer graphics card, it may be time to consider a new PSU as well.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If memory serves, it's a 650 watt PS. The rig is a Voodoo-built Omen to ISO9001 spec (bought it used from my brother), so I don't foresee an issue with the additional power required for the RAM.

8. Bill_Bright

You bought it used from your brother and don't see a problem? !!! :D

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

LOL! no, he just wanted something newer and faster for his photography business, running Adobe Photoshop especially and handling those huge tiff images.

10. Bill_Bright

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.