RAM-DVD file sizes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Couperin, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Couperin

Couperin Registered Member

With the resurgence of interest in RAM-DVD and faster speeds, it becomes a more reliable media option. Acronis is making some progress in handling this properly, but further thought is required:

Under Win XP Pro SP2, my LG GSA-4163B is properly recognized as a removable media drive by TI Corp Workstation 8.0 Build 933.

BUT:

Your own documentation suggests, quite properly, that it's best that images onto DVD media be limited to 2 Gig files.

Once recognized as a removable media device, TI automatically OMITS the filesize option screen making it impossible to control the filesize written to my DVD-RAM drive... Until/unless you are ready to automatically sense/identify DVD-RAM drives and include the filesize option routine.. an EASY and simple fix would be to include either a Configuration Option or a command line switch that allows/forces the filesize option selection for any media. Those of us with such DVD-RAM drives get the ability to chunk our images on DVD-RAM media and everyone else just ignores the option....

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Couperin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that currently we do not support DVD-RAM. We cannot guarantee that Acronis True Image will work properly with it. As for writing to DVDs, Acronis True Image splits the image file automatically to 2Gb parts so you don't need to worry about it.

Thank you for your input.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. c1c2

c1c2 Registered Member

Yes, I can affirm that. I just tested and verified the image.
    And it worked. Internal LG-4163 Multi-Burner using Panasonic DVD-Ram
    both UDF 1.5 and 2.0, DVD-Ram drivers up to date, XPSP2.
    ATI splitted the files, which is no problem for me, and recognized the medium
    as removable. Though it didn´t need to split because of UDF...
    .. I mentioned this few months ago. o_O

But I wish, Acronis would do some further testing and add this
    to their official feature list. Maybe for ATI 9?
    DVD-Ram is the safest optical medium available and ideal for backups.
    DVD-R and +R are by far not that secure.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello c1c2,

Currently we haven't tested DVD-RAM performance yet that is why we cannot tell that this type of media is officialy supported. Our Development Team is currently working on widening the range of supported media and the improvements will be made in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.