RAM Disk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by majoMo, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I'm trying to use RAM Disk. The question:

When you use it or where you think it's useful to use it? I have some problems to see their utility. :blink:

Your suggestions/tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.

:shifty:

2. newbino

newbino Registered Member

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes this was back in 2007 but with todays hardware and memory with at least 2 gig even on laptops it can have his use.

Many moan how to secure delete there sandboxes.If you have the whole sandbox in memory in the temp. file in Ramdisk and finish browser session then at that very moment anything sandbox related is gone,nothing left as you can get how memory is working.
    Speeding things up if in Ram is questionable as my experience reveal that there is no sign of it if i compare the speed of opera in Ramdisk versus Opera in normal sandboxed version.

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ newbino and Huupi thanks for your comments. I'm clarified now.

5. suliman

suliman Registered Member

I use Farstone Ramdisk and have been doing so for a year or so. I have a 800MB RAM disk. Little too big for my needs but I´m too lazy to make it smaller :) (I use about 200MB of that)

I have installed my browser and other software that I want to run fast. For a while I hade the temp directory there but some times installations require a lot of space in the temp file so I went back to the default location.

I have a folder in RAM disk as the only place from where unknown executables are allowed to run (Software Restriction Policy)

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems not to be adviced to do that: many installers require to reboot and use the tmp folder. If at reboot tmp folder is empty the installer fails to do their full installation.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I use it for browser,if there is something to delete then its gone forever,no need for plugins or thirth party stuff to securely delete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.