Raising the bar

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ravin, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravin

ravin Registered Member

I probably should've started with I didn't know that? but - most of us the end users of computers purchase or acquire them and then set about tweaking and adding protection software etc. without giving any thought about what we allready have at our disposal. Please don't take anything I say personnally as I to have not forgotten where I started in the 0101 world. Anyways there is a way to change that old default security template that most users (including me in the past) are using. they are on win2k and xp and are called security templates ranging from high security to default (which is what was shipped). their are other pre-defined templates available - most from microsoft that help us to raise the bar on security.

in win2k & xp use help and type in security templates and you'll see what I'm talking about.

with restore points in particular to xp createing a new one while learning and setting up a new higher security template makes going about this task pretty easy - mess it up just restore to earlier point.

just wanted to get this post out as I think it will benefit someone along the way. :)

2. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

Good idea Raven about talking about security templates. They can come in handy most of the time, escpecially with the ability of editing the templates to your own liking.
    The templates are a great thing to start off on and then tweak from there. Gives you a more personal setup to your windows security which most people are not aware of.
    I've never liked System Restore though. I had trouble with it making a restore of a virus I removed, so my anti-virus software kept prompting a virus was detected but it wasn't able to remove it. After several hours and many nasty words later I was able to find out that I had to disable system restore and the problem disappeared. Since then I've had it turned off.

3. ravin

ravin Registered Member

the particular thing I like about them is it takes away those other user rights and permissions such as power users etc. which is a good portion of where viruses and trojans rely on those default accounts to use and attack you from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.