RAID drives

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by vlsi8877, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vlsi8877

vlsi8877 Registered Member

Hello:

Long time reader , great forum

I have a few questions

I want to use paragon to backup a DRIVE i raid 1 configuration that contains data only. Will I be able to recover the data from the recovery CD even if the drives are not in RAID 1 mode at that time or for that matter to any drive (not in RAID configuration)?

If I may , I would like to understand the recovery CD. A Rec CD created by Windows, it seems simple, you boot from it and it lets you find images created by windows backup. A rec CD from Paragon, suppose to the same thing but it lets you find the images created by Paragon. My question is then , is there a version of Paragon installed in the Rec Cd? The reason I get confused is that I read about creating a Boot CD using WINPE, how is that this boot CD will install the image from Paragon? When you create this boot CD , do I need to install Paragon on it? My assumption is that a bootable CD is customized for the application you are trying to install?

I have Paragon Free v11 2012 but the linux CD just makes my machine reboot in a loop if I select normal mode, are there some instructions to create this WINpe bootable CD for Paragon? or how do I create a recovery CD that works?

Sorry for the long post

thank you

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

A recovery CD contains the Paragon program.

To get a WinPE recovery medium (CD/DVD/USB stick) with the Paragon program, you must build it using the program "Boot Media Builder", which you can download from your Paragon account. You dont´need to "install" anything, the Paragon program is included in the Boot Media Builder.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know what the situation is since the pre-built WinPE became unavailable. Since he has the free version, would he have access to Paragon's Boot Media Builder for WinPE?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Sorry, I did not read the last paragraph of the original post. According to the Paragon website, there is no WinPE from Paragon for B&R 2012 Free.

5. vlsi8877

Is there a way to create a Linux CD that works?

Also, does anyone know the answer to my first question?

thank you

6. seekforever

If you are only interested in backing up/restoring the RAID 1 data then you probably don't need to worry about the Linux CD. Since the Windows OS is still running but the RAID disks' data files are gone you should be able to do everything in the Windows version of Paragon.

You should be able to test this by creating an archive then accessing it and restoring a file or files to a non-RAID disk.

7. vlsi8877

Yes, I understand about the data RAID 1 backup.
    If I want a Linux CD that works for the OS backup, can I create one myself?

The one the program created it does not work .

thank you

8. seekforever

Not unless you are a Linux guru and know how to build one with the various tools available and incorporate the Paragon program and drivers into it. Paragon only supplies a pre-built one and you can't add drivers or change it.

If you have the paid version you get access to the WinPE build stuff from Paragon but now you have to build it yourself and I think that means downloading the free Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) from MS.

Paragon used to supply a prebuilt WinPE CD image that you just burned to a CD or USB stick and it had the advantage of having the Windows drivers for most things and more importantly, the ability to add missing drivers. It is no longer available because Microsoft's changed the licensing for WinPE so you have to create your own. I have never done it for Paragon so I can't tell you anything about the current procedure.

9. wptski

wptski Registered Member

You must download the WAIK to use the current Boot Media Builder from Paragon.

10. seekforever

Thanks for the clarification.

How would you rate building the WinPE CD in terms of expertise needed? Do you have to be a bit of a techie, a lot of a techie or could my aging mother do it?

Thanks

11. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Seems fairly easy. If you want/need drivers, you need to understand what a INF is. If you don't to install drivers, it's a no-brainer.

12. vlsi8877

Is there a link to the instructions to do this?

thank you

13. wptski

wptski Registered Member

If you use a purchased Paragon product, your download page has a link for the Boot Media Builder manual.

14. vlsi8877

Build Recovery CD for Free Paragon

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I want to build a bootable CD with the free version. The Linux version created with the free version does not work.

I have downloaded the Microsoft WAIK... sorry I can't remember the exact name of package that is needed to build the WINPE version.

I don't know how to put everything needed together and build an ISO image with the Paragon software , drivers and what ever is else needed.

I also read something about BartPE in this forum but it does not go into enough newbie details.

thank you

15. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Re: Build Recovery CD for Free Paragon

Were you refering to winbuilder by any chance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.