RAID 5 + TI 10, cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dexg, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dexg

dexg Registered Member

My current setup is:
    O/S: XP Pro 64 bit (installed on a 80 gb IDE HD), this is the 'C' drive
    M/B has 1 PCI x16 slot, 1 PCI x1 slot & 2 PCI slot's
    HighPoint 8 port Raid 5 controller (in the x16 slot), this is 'D' drive
    8 Seagate SATA 400GB

I would like to migrate this to the following:
    3-Ware 9650SE 12 port raid controller (needs PCI x16 slot)
    12 Seagate SATA 750GB

My intent is to image the existing 'D' & store the image on an external HD,
    remove the HighPoint & install the 3Ware
    install the image on the newly created array.

Is this the best way to proceed?

After installing TI 10, when I try to do a backup or clone, TI does not "see" the existing 'D' drive (aka raid array)

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Upgrading from a mere 2.8TB of storage to 8.25TB. OK, I'm impressed.

That's going to have to be an amazing external hard drive if it will hold the contents of a 2.8GB array which I would assume must be fairly full if you need more space.

What external drive will you use?

Oops! It appears that TrueImage 10 doesn't support your current RAID card in Windows. That's odd since the array is working in Windows, so Windows must have the correct drivers installed.

You could try booting from the Recovery CD to see if just on a fluke it recognizes the RAID array, but that's not very likely.

It also possible that the new RAID card will not be recognized. In that case, you couldn't restore the image. So you need to confirm that it is supported before bothering to make a backup image.

I suggest you contact Acronis Tech Support and confirm that TI 10 runs on XP 64-bit and can handle such large drives and find out if there are drivers for both cards before proceeding.

3. dexg

dexg Registered Member

Luckily for me, this array curremtl has approx. 1.2TB worth of info.
    I have another array (7 x 400 GB Seagate SATA) that I would use as the external drive

Thx for the suggestion.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You are the King of Storage!

When you say "Mine is bigger than yours." I don't know anyone who can disagree. :)

I'm curious. What do you have that takes so much space?

5. dexg

dexg Registered Member

video (movies) & audio (music)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dexg,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create a screenshot of Windows Disk Management window.

Please also try performing the operation using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. If the problem persists there as well, please also create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.