Raid 5 Server Imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JSchein, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSchein

JSchein Guest

I have used the imaging program before in the past but this is what I am looking for:

Can I use the boot cd and perform an image cloning to another system drive array?

Or do I have to make image files, then re-image the new machine with those images?

Right now, I have a Raid 5 SCSI array with 300gb of data I need to move to a new "larger" array. I know ghost has where you can transfer through the network with bootable discs, does acronis offer the same type of transfer?

I'm getting to my wits end trying to figure out the solution to upgrading critical server drives and this seems like a viable solution if it works.

I have dell servers and the controllers are compatible with the product, but is that only in windows and what I ask for cannot be done?

Or is there a different solution as replacing the drives... one by one... rebuilding, and then re-partitioning the drives to their maximum size?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JSchein,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Do you want to perform the cloning to a new RAID type (different controller) or just to move the system to a larger RAID based on the same controller? If the former there may be a problem because Windows doesn't have appropriate drivers for the new RAID. However, the second variant should work without any problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. JSchein

JSchein Guest

Had to ask a tough question huh?

Ok... The server in question has 2 raid controllers.. One with 5 drives as Raid 5 (The one I need to image) and one with 2 drives (Raid 1). My biggest concern is not really having a storage location for 200+ gigs of image files and how would it work if I created another 5 disk array with the new disks and did an array to array type image that autoexpanded to use the new space.

I hope this explains further what I am looking for. I don't want to reinstall everything as you can tell and I don't think I can do an array to array in windows without any malfunctions unless I am wrong.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JSchein,

If you have two identical RAID controllers you may just clone one array to the other using "Disk Clone" wizard. This will allow you to resize the partitions on the new array. If the controllers are different you may encounter problems with lack of drivers for new controller. You need to make sure you have installed the drivers for new RAID controller before cloning.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.