RAID 1 restore does not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmillar, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmillar

jmillar Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm a newbie to RAID and Acronis True Image 8.0.
    I'm using an Adaptec 1210SA controller with 2 SATA hard drives configured for Raid 1. I've tried restoring an image to one of the hard drives, and then building the other from it. When I try to boot, Windows says it can not, and doesn't really say anything else. Not very descriptive.
    What went wrong.
    How do I restore a RAID 1 system? I only took one drive C image.

-james

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

What is the error that occurs when you try to boot? Is there a message of any kind? Does Windows start to load or is the failure before that point. Please will you be more specific as to what happened and give any error messages.

Did you restore just partition C: or did you tick the box to restore the whole drive? You need to restore the whole drive for that drive to be bootable.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello James,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that besides the fact that you need to create and restore the image of the whole partition you will also need to make sure Windows system has the necessary drivers for your RAID. Could you please describe whether the system was installed on the same RAID before you created the image?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. jmillar

jmillar Registered Member

I only backed up partition C, I did not back up the entire hard disk. The drivers for the Adaptec controller are contained in the image. (I'll have to get back to you on the exact error, but it wasn't much to write about.)
    How do I make the drive bootable again, and next time, do I back up the entire hard drive, not just drive C which I thought was enough to be bootable?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jmillar,

To be sure the drive will be bootable after you restore it to another drive you need to create and restore the image of the whole disk because only in this case MBR is included into the image. Currently you may try to fix MBR either using your Windows Installation CD or one of the methods described at Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.