Raid 0?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by pugmug, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

What is the point other than a bit of read/write speed?It seem's to me not to be worth the security risk's.Hardware,data or infection all the way around.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The point is performance. Nothing else. In some cases...redundancy are not needed, the risk is acceptable in order to gain performance.

Obviously this isn't done on systems where mission critical data and daily guaranteed uptime are of importance.

A wise thing to do is use good reliable drives, seek drives with a 3 year or higher warranty...MTBF rating of over 600,000 hours. Chances for a more problem free system are better. Several years ago I ran a RAID 0 system for over 2 years, without a single hitch. This was on my hardcore gaming system that I took to LAN parties. Was fun being one of the first people to be up and running when the game changed map levels..gave me an extra edge.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've had Raid 0 on three different systems for several years, and no issues. I do keep "mission critical" data on them, again with no issues. Key is backup,backup, backup.

It's is true if one of the two drives fails you are out of luck, but okay, so you have one drive and it fails. I see nothing more comforting in that.

And I do see a performance difference.

Pete

4. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I am glad you both have had such good LUCK so far with it.I even read people using it and going to the trouble to divide the o/s,programs and data on different c/d drives and then wanting to use something like Returnil,like either/or are going to save them when trouble strikes,lol.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  5. YeOldeStonecat

Yup...I still do that. Although quite honestly it's not a lot of trouble.

I usually run a pair of drives.....first drive for the OS, and the second drive I keep my downloads/My Documents on, as well as my pagefile.sys (virtual memory). Moving your virtual memory to a different spindle gives you a nice performance boost. ;)

I don't split OS and programs...they both stay on my C drive..which is the fastest drive, WD Raptor 10,000rpm.

The once every couple of years if I opt to wipe my system and rebuild fresh 'n clean...it saves me a lot of time...I can easily blow away the C drive and begin a fresh install, knowing all my important data is nice 'n save on my D drive. It actually saves me all this time, no "transferring" of data like typical people do when wiping the system and rebuilding..they have to go through a big "import" process again.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

agree completely. I keep OS and Progs on C: data and pagefile on D: Apart from the times I have changed machines I have never had to restore D: but C: can be restored several times a day. As C: can be very small I have recently replaced my hard drive on one machine with a 30 gb SSD. As the price of these drives fall there will be even more reason to have separate C: and D:

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Let's keep it on topic folks, which is raid 0 not splitting out data.

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

sorry - I thought pugmug as the OP have given authority to deviate in post #4 by his comments about splitting. any self respecting prosecutor would certainly take advantage of the opportunity :D :D :D besides as a self confesed one drive man don't you have to declare a self interest and get another mod to reprimand us ? :cautious: :cautious: :cautious:

9. YeOldeStonecat

Apologies....I was just following the OP and his flow of thought...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.