Raid 0 "Stripe" Compatible Imaging Tools

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by MerleOne, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

I might get soon a new PC equipped with 2 x 1TB HDD in Raid 0 "Stripe" mode. It seems that IFW is Raid compatible, but I'd like to know if these other imaging tools are also Raid friendly (preferably from people who successfully used them in that configuration) :

- Active@Disk Image 4/5
    - Drive Snapshot
    - Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Home
    - Macrium Reflect 4.2

Thanks !

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Haven't used the 4 you mentioned but I've been using Shadowprotect for several years on a couple of flavors of Raid 0, with no issues.

Pete

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

IFW/IFD and Drive snapshot have no problems with raid 0.

With the other three you will be ok as long as you use WinPE as a recovery enviroment.(linux recovery enviroments do not play very well with intel raid)

ps. if is and intel chipset mobo you can configure it as a matrix raid 0 and 1, or better add a 3rd disk and configure them as matrix raid 0 and 5.

Panagiotis

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have used Macrium extensively with RAID 0, never had a problem. As mentioned though, I have had issues with Linux flavored boot cds. I have been using either BartPE or Win7RescuePE though for my restoring, of which I provided the correct drivers for my board. But Macrium itself has never had an issue providing I can get it started ;)

Sul.

5. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Thanks all. Most if not all commercial release do include this WinPE recovery CD, so I guess I should be OK.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Paragon's Recovery Media works fine on my Nvidia RAID 0, but Macrium's didn't. I don't use the WinPE versions.

7. valnar

valnar Registered Member

I know it has been inferred, but I wanted to clarify for the OP. RAID backup is pretty easy to do. RAID restore is the true compatibility test.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Very true. I have had good luck restoring with Acronis products and with O&O DiskImage. I currently use O&O as it has never failed me. Some people don't like it though. Incremental backups are very slow but for me the fact that is has never failed outweighs the time spent.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree, and I've probably done close to a 1000 restores on my 3 raid machines with no issues. As for incrementals I run Shadow Protect's continous incrementals and it automatically takes one, every 30 minutes. Takes only a couple of seconds.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.