RAC failed - change clients RAC IP remotely

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DMIsec, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMIsec

DMIsec Registered Member

Our RAC recently crashed and failed. I rebuilt a new server installed the licence key although as expected, it doesn't see any of the installed clients because I had to change the IP. Is there anyway to change every clients RAC IP?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

If the clients were looking to the host name of the old server you can use DNS to create an alias of the of the old server name that points to the new server. In the policy on the new server enforce the new host name so that after the clients check in they are then instructed to go to the new server. After all the clients are moved over to the new server you can then delete the alias if you wish to do so.

3. DMIsec

DMIsec Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Its actually looking for the IP. What I did do though, is create a CNAME for that IP to go to the new server. Time will tell if it works.

4. nilupa

nilupa Registered Member

I'm having the same problem and does not have DNS server either to resolve the previous server name. is any other way to resolve this ?. I tried the remote push install method with the updated configuration by searching pcs that not connected to the RAC and it also not solve my problem. it does not change the primary server name to ip. what can i do ?.

5. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

It should have changed. Did you change the package configuration? Did it install sucessfully?

6. ThomasC

You should be able to push an un-install and then an install. If you push an install and the product is already there you will not really accomplish anything as you have already seen.

7. Multibox

Multibox Registered Member

If i read it correctly, your old server is still active but ERAS won't work on it anymore, perhaps this might work, but i have not tried it myself, it's only a theory:

Temporarily set up port forwarding on the old server, forwarding TCP port 2222 to the new server so that clients can temporarily connect to ERAS, and if needed TCP port 2221 so that clients can temporarily update their signatures from the mirror server.

Use some search engine to search for "win32 port forwarding", there are several port forwarding tools for windows (use any of these on your own risk).

Then, on the new ERA server, you could set up a task with the new configuration (new ERA server IP or hostname, new mirror server IP or hostname) and send it to the clients. You can remove the port forwarding on the old server when the workstations have applied the configuration.
    After removing the port forwarding, you should look if the clients still connect to ERA (Last Connected column).

This won't work for workstations that have been switched off ofcourse.

However, if the old server has failed, you could to temporarily set up ERAS/ERAC on a computer with the old server's IP address and set up a task that sets the new servers' ip address.

8. DMIsec

DMIsec Registered Member

Can't uninstall. Getting the following error

Remote Registry Opening (ESET Security Product Info) Result Code: 5 (Access is denied.)

Good thing, the clients are still updating since they're set to update from the web. But I'd still like the ability to manage them remotely. I put the old IP in DNS to point to the new server. But still no luck. If I knew where Eset stores that info, I can set a GPO to override it. But I'm not sure where Eset stores that info.

9. ThomasC

Do you have a settings protection password set on the ESET Clients? If so you will need to add a parameter to your uninstall package in order for it to work.

Add PASSWORD=”Password” to the command line switches in the uninstall package.

As for the GPO, your line of thinking is solid however since version 4 of ESET, the self-defense module has been present. If you were to attempt to modify the appropriate ESET Registry key to change the Remote Administration setting on the client it would fail with a permissions error. If you are running version 3 or older let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.