RAC Connect/PW problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cosmo32, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Have just installed RAC on my /ofc/ system. This machine also has nod32 v2.70.25 installed and registered.

I am following BS's tutorial. I have added my server (srv), but when I try to connect to /srv/ I am asked for a password. (I understand that this pw was initially blank when RAS was installed (2 days ago)). I can not get RAC to issue/install a pw. I can not connect to my server.

What have I missed?

Is this pw special and different from the user pw's of the server's two desktops?

Should I use the Config Editor to set a pw? Where?

So far, everything has gone very smoothly. Can see the finish line; just can not quite get there.... LOL! Still, I do like this AV app very much. Feel very secure behind it.
    Best,
    Duncan

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you mean a password for connecting RAC to RAS, it's blank by default. If you mean thar you prompted to enter a user/pass when retrieving updates from your local mirror, you must use a user/pass for authentication to NT systems (ie. workgroup(domain)\username and the appropriate password). In such case, it's better to enable updates via HTTP than via Windows shares.

3. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Marcos,
    Yes I am at the point of attempting to connect RAC to the RAS on my server. My RAC is on a client PC of my LAN. I have added my server in /connection edit/. It is there now as 10.0.0.10:2223.
    Yes, I am aware that a "RAS pw" is blank by default. The tutorial says,
    1. Place a tick in "Remember Password...".
    2. Enter a Passwork for the Server (this is recommended - ensure it is recorded for reference).
    3. Click on "OK".

I'm unclear as to what this pw should be. Do I use my license pw? My win2K user acct pw? The administrator pw for the server?
    Whatever it may/should be, RAC does not accept anything. The pw window flashes quickly back to blank and some greenish colored window flashes even quicker underneath the pw window. Can not slow the machine down to read the colored splash window. The result is that the server remains disconnected from the RAC. Very strange... :(
    Best,
    Duncan

4. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

Yeah this got me stuck for a bit too, after ensuring a blank username and password was in, all systems go.

5. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

ArrowsmithMW,
    OK, a blank UN and PW. Where? RAS, Config Ed?, Mirror?
    OOH! And I'm so close.... LOL!
    Best,
    Duncan

6. arrowsmithmidwest

Use a Blank username and password in the xml configuration file for updates.
    Also ensure the update location is the server that the mirror is on.
    If you have more troubles, i will send you a screenshot of my config for updates.

7. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

arrowsmithMW,
    Thank you. I now understand. I'm going to go back over the Config Editor section of BS's tutorial. I seem to have missed something important.

BTW, something very gratifying just happened! I'm really jazzed and a bit freaked out by it! Have a W98SE game machine that had crashed (on my LAN). (not unexpected!!) It had a trial version of nod32 installed. When rebooted, its' nod32 trial install immediately found my RAS and Mirror and updated from vdef 2024 to vdef 2048! And, its' SysInfo appears to now be a fully registered version. WOW! This suite is truly very nice! And, it does work!
    Thanks you all. Back to the books and tutorials.
    Best,
    Duncan

8. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

arrowsmithMW,
    Perhaps that screenshot might help. Is XML a new label for HTML? Another "markup language?" I've never built a web page..... :(
    The server is 10.0.0.10. The "Mirror" is c:\Mirror. The server only has a 3-drive raid worth ~50GB's. Old server. Server does not have a firewall. (that's another topic if/when I move to broadband). Good for me to learn "server" with. Maybe I need more "server school" LOL!

Still can not get RAC (on 10.0.0.3) to connect to RAS or ? (on 10.0.0.10). I figure getting RAC to connect to my server is the last 10% of my full install. I have carefully looked thru my Configuration Editor and do not see any "passwords" entered/enabled. But, I will admit that the Configuration Editor is still scary to me. So far Blackspear's tutorial's has been spot on for setting this sweet suite up!
    Thank you for your help.
    Best,
    Duncan

9. arrowsmithmidwest

Here are some of my screen shots attached.
    I run my console from my server, but i don't think that this is your problem though, as it can easily be run from any computer in the network.

Attached Files:

10. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Thankyou ArrowsmithMW,
    Give me a day to study your share. *puppy*

Understand that RAC should run on anywho on the LAN. That's what I was wanting. More school required ATM.

BTW, did I get the XML/HTML question close? :rolleyes:

Last, just how many dot-xml files might I end up with? Do I need a spare directory to store them in?

Wonderful software. Simply amazed at how smart it is. Now with just one phone call over moring coffee, 4 machines automagically update themselves! I've waited a long time for this. JazzedIam. :D
    Once I get this RAC glitch fixed, I can build a package and push it out to my last w2K client machine. Then I am whole.
    Best,
    Duncan

11. arrowsmithmidwest

well yes xml is Extensible Markup Language.
    If googled, it is for defining your own tags, but the way i look at it, it is great for storing configuration information, such as our NOD configs.

You should only have one XML file per configuration you create. So just store it somewhere safe.

12. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

OK, will do. You say "per configuration you create." Can you expand, I'm confused? Do you mean the "installer" folders in my Mirror directory? I did notice that when I checked my ?.xml file with the ConfigEditor several of your suggested setting were not as you suggested. I did make the changes suggested (listed below), but when I got done and went to save the changes, I was prompted with a blank file name box. Oops! I may not have saved any of my changes. May have to redo changes. That ConfigEditor is some scary business! May have to search for *.xml and check date/time markers. Sheesh!
    But, I did find this:

/Mirror Setup/General/Remote Administration/
    -Connect to Remote Administration Server: NO (changed to YES)
    -Remote Administraton Server address: C:/Mirror (changed to http://my_server_ipAddy:8088)

/Mirror Setup/General/License Keys/
    -License Keys: Volume 0 (info; no change!)

/Mirror Setup/Update/
    -Internet connection type: None (changed to LAN/Fixed line)*

*and then went back and corrected my 3 test clients (/ofc, /lib, and /zzz) to use "LAN/Fixed line" for internet connections. I have left my NOD32-LUS client on /srv as internet connection=DialUp. Correct? I use /srv to dial out to ESET each AM and snif/get any new stuff. So far, this is working auto-magically and, by about 1100hrs each day all 3 of the test clients update themselves from /srv. Simply amazing!! :D

Again, thank you for your counsel here. Much of this internal complexity is now beginning to make more sense to me. Once I have a basic conceptual mental picture of "who" does "what" to "whom" and "when" my comfort level for NOD32 increases. So far, ESET is a keeper!
    Best,
    Duncan

13. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Great success! Re-installed RAC and accepted the blank PW prompt. My server is now connected to RAC! Continueing thru the tutorial I attempted to create a "push package" for my last LAN client. At the point where I am suppose to click/open the dot-xml file in the Mirror, I get a very strong error of "this file has incorrect format 10040,3". OK, what is this? I had to cancel out of my package creation.

Also, I notice while navigating the RAC that it seems to believe that every one of my LAN clients (including my net printer, LOL!) are UnProtected. This is odd because:
    -server has nod32-LAN Update server version installed v2.70.25 (w/RAS)
    -client \zzz has nod32-W98SE v2.70.23 installed
    -client \lib has nod32-W2K/XP v2.70.16 installed
    -client \ofc has nod32-W2K/XP v2.70.16 installed (w/RAC)

Only client \ofc seems to be recognized within RAC, I suppose because RAC is installed on client \ofc at this time.

Moving forward, having much fun, and feeling very secure even with these glitches.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Best,
    Duncan

14. arrowsmithmidwest

I went around to all my network computers (about 10 of them) and changed the RA settings to this below, so that the clients can communicate with the Console properly, i tried sending out the updated configs (xml file, just call xml files NOD32 Configs, because thats what they do, store the variable settings for you) but sending out the configs did not work (predict because of lack of communication due to RA settings on clients.
    Hope i didn't confuse you then?

Anyway do this Step by Step.

- Goto your client computer and open NOD32 control centre.
    - Go into the NOD32 System setup settings.
    - Click Remote administration TAB.
    And below are my settings.

I'll post my mirror settings in the config in a sec.

Attached Files:

15. arrowsmithmidwest

My config for mirror.
    Remember the computer that the mirror is on ,needs to have your NOD license details in it and pointing to choose server automatically so it can actually update the mirror. My mirror running on my server.

Attached Files:

16. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

arrowsmithMW,
    Well, yes. Now I'm really confused. I so see that you have placed your "mirror" directory completely inside the eset program file stack. Mine is sitting at the root of my server's raid, c:\Mirror. I believe I can make these position changes though. Your position does make more sense to me.

And yes, the minute you mentioned those pesky dot-xml files again, my eyes started to glaze over again! LOL!! I spent last week trying to comprehend both how may I actually have and then how many I need to have and/or what their names need to be. Still stuck here.

The good news (until about an hour ago when I un-shared my "Mirror" directory/folder, all of my clients (5) were freely updating themselves auto-magically with the server! And this, even though the RAC seems to think each client is a problem child that needs to have nod32 installed! Yes, I have NOT pushed any install to any of the clients yet.

Once I do move my "mirror" f/d, which of my many dot-xml files to I update to show its' new location? What name do I give this dot-xml file? Where does it live?
    Thank you,
    Duncan

17. arrowsmithmidwest

Hope this clears a few things up for you.

As for the dot-xml files, it doesn't matter where on earth they live.
    They are just there for creating packages or pushing out a new config to the clients. All controlled from the Remote Admin Console.

PS.
    MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE CONFIG AFTER EDITING IT!!!

Attached Files:

18. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

arrowsmithMW,
    Yes, I have learned to save the config file that I edit. It is now called "nod32.xml." My trouble/confusion is that I do not comprehend what this config file is really for(?)

Thank you for your last screen saves. I have to say that they have just confused the issue even more. I believe that I need to just walk away from this and noodle thru all the docs I now have. I have missed something important in my haste to get this really fine software suite up and running. Or, just maybe I really do have it running "opsnorml" and do not truly realize it yet.(!) Let me take a week and just watch nod32 do what it does. At this time all 5 of my clients update within 45 minutes of me dialing out with my server to get any new updates. And yes, for the next 45-60 minutes, the RAC icon in my sys tray goes red-I take this to mean "there is an issue we need to fix!" OK. If I just wait long enough, all my clients eventually get to my "mirror" and update. I believe I am now whole.

Do I still have issues/questions about the config files? YES!

Do I still have issues with RAC? YES!

Does NOD32 Enterprise Edition really work? Oh!!!! YES!!!!!

On balance, I have seen visual evidence of what/how nod32 works. I am extremely impressed. Best piece of software I have ever used. And, that includes all versions of "Windows" I've used since 1970.

Again, thank you for all your help. I do appreciate it. I also suspect that there may be other 'server' related stuff that I just do not yet comprehend yet, that may be confusing my comments to you and others that are wiser than I. I do hope to get smarter.
    Best,
    Duncan

19. arrowsmithmidwest

I'll try one more time, if this ain't help, then maybe someone else who has more experience than me can shed some light for you.

XML (Config Files) - Used for:
    • Pushing a configuration from the console out to the client to update settings on the clients
    • For creating a manual installer package which builds in the XML config file so end result is a .EXE file to install NOD32 with desired settings

At least you have the patience in persisting to get this going, as your right, it is a great program.
    Just re-read the manuals, read blackspears comments on setting it up and have a bit of a play and hopefully you'll get there soon.
    good luck.

20. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Click, Click, Ding!!! Ding!!! Poof!!! Dang, my old thick head! Yes, I do now see WHAT the config file/files are used for. OK.......

.....So, then, if I were to use the newest "Instant Blackspear" config.xml as my source file to build my install (push) package with, I should end up with a fully customized install at a chosen client?

And, the RAC now seems to work a bit better after I found the window to tell RAC which workgroup to use and just who lived in the workgroup at the moment. The magic does continue! Mostly quiet in the toolies now. Yes, I'm now back to RTFM for the bits I missed before.
    Thank you so much for your patience arrowsmithMW.:D I do appreciate it.:thumb:
    Best,
    Duncan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.