R-Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kaupp, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaupp

Kaupp Guest

I found this free firewall,
    http://www.r-firewall.com/

Monitors network activity at the application and system component levels;
    Detects and blocks direct network intrusions;
    Detects and blocks network connections that malicious programs try to establish from within and outside the protected computer;
    Detects and blocks numerous types of attacks;
    Detects and blocks various dangerous active content on the Internet, such as JavaScript objects, ActiveX components, etc;
    Checks e-mail attachments for dangerous content, such as executable programs, JavaScript objects, ActiveX components, etc;
    Converts the protected computer into a "stealth" machine running invisibly to outside intruders;
    Provides detailed log information

Has anyone used it?

2. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Great marketing that will attract attention, but am wary as to no shots of it actually in action.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Hmmm...the feature list looks impressive for a free firewall but I would agree with Ga1tar about the lack of screenshots - also the lack of details like leaktest performance, rules criteria (e.g. can ICMP be filtered, can IP options like source routing be specified) make it harder to judge whether this is worth a download.

However the RGuard tool looks interesting for its claimed file access control mechanism. However its features list includes boo-boos like referring to CRC-128 as encryption and MD5 as key generation.

However this does look more like the developer trying to drum up some attention so I'd bet on this thread being locked/moved/deleted as advertising. Any takers? :D

4. Kaupp

Kaupp Guest

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

This one does look interesting, I was kind of wondering about it myself. It looks like it has a fairly good set of features without being too over-complicated for new users. I'd be interested in hearing how it is on resources, along with leaktests etc.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Looks kinda interesting.. I'd try it and report back, but I'm in the middle of figuring out and configuring Tiny right now and don't want to change... ;)

7. Paranoid2000

There have been numerous past cases here of people posting links to a new product, posing a question about it (which just happens to include a complete feature list) and then it is found out that they are the developer trying to drum up business.

If that does not apply to you, if you have no connection with R-Tools Technology and are simply a user canvassing for others' opinions then my apologies. But in that case, how did you find a screenshot from that website when there are no links to it, directory listings are blocked and Google knows nothing of it?

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I googled for the r-firewall and found the screen shot he posted on about eight different sites.

one of them is here another is here

bigc

9. Paranoid2000

Were any of them from the r-tt.com site itself? If not, then the question of how that URL was discovered is still open - maybe Kaupp knows (or even is) the webmaster there?

10. Hi all, it seems a good firewall, I tryed to install it, but it says there is an error, so I could't.
    In the help file you could see that it is an interesting one.

About creating rules

Define the new rule parameters:
    a. Select a protocol(1): TCP, UDP, ICMP, IP or an unknown one.
    b. Select the direction(2)of a connection for the rule.
    c. Specify the type and attributes of the remote host(3). You may select between the domain name, IP address, IP range or host zone of the host.
    d. Specify the type and attributes of the remote port(4). You may select between a single port, port range or port groups.
    e. Specify the type and attributes of the local host(5). You may select between the domain name, IP address, IP range or host zone of the host.
    f. Specify the type and attributes of the local port(6). You may select between a single port, port range or port groups.
    g. Select the types of ICMP protocol(7)(only for the ICMP protocols).
    h. If the type of the protocol has not been defined in the first place, specify the protocol type.(:cool:
    i. Specify the action for the rule: allow, block or ask. The exampleof a created rule.

(1)PROTOCOL:
    TCP
    UDP
    IP
    Unknown

(2)DIRECTION:
    IN
    OUT
    ANY

(3)REMOTE HOST:
    DOMAIN NAME
    IP ADDRESS
    IP RANGE
    MASK
    ZONE

(4)PORT:
    PORT. ADD A SINGLE PORT
    PORT RANGE. ADD A RANGE OF THE PORTS
    PORT GROUPS

(5)LOCAL HOST:
    DOMAINE NAME
    IP ADDRESS
    IP RANGE
    MASK
    ZONE

(6)LOCAL PORT:
    PORT. ADD A SINGLE PORT
    PORT RANGE. ADD A RANGE OF THE PORTS
    PORT GROUPS

(7)ICMP PROTOCOL:
    Echo reply
    Destination Unreachable
    Source Quench
    ICMP Redirect
    Echo
    Router Advertisement
    Router Solicitation
    Time Exceeded
    IP Header Bad
    Time Stamp Request
    Time Stamp Reply
    Information Request
    Information Reply
    Adreess Mask Request
    Adreess Mask Reply

(:cool:PROTOCOL TYPE:
    ICMP
    IGMP
    TCP
    GGP
    PUP
    UDP
    HMP
    XNS-IDP
    RDP
    RVD

As I said, it looks interesting, it iven brings some configurations for many applications: yahoo, e donkey, proxomitron, etc. they are about 40. includes some for the system.
    I put here only about creating rules, but there is more like content fileter and attack detection.

I hope this gives you an idea about this firewall.
    I am going to try it if it is posible another time to install it.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, all that's very interesting, but not of much use if one can't even install the firewall in the first place.. I've run into one other instance like that and immediately dismissed the program. I might give it a try myself one weekend after I finish with Tiny here... maybe not though.. I'm really starting to like Tiny a LOT more than I thought I would.. It grows on you...

12. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Pardon me but i'm always perplexed about news softs' promising a fabulous security.

Just try to use it is not enough.

A good test should be rigorous: the firewall must be submited on:

***elaborated leaktest(Copycat, Thermit, Wallbreaker),
    ***firewall's trojans like Firewar or methods like FWB Rundll Method,
    ***A very exhaustive and aggressive online scan (Sygate, Securityfocus ...).

In any ways, for incoming or outgoing traffic, theres's always a possibility to bypass or shutdown a firewall.

As often for new softs: Wait and See.

Regards

13. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Once difficulties is encountered installing something, it usually spells trouble. Think this one needs to go back to the drawing board before it is allowed to see the light of day.

14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

;) Thanks P2K, for reminding all of us to remain vigil :)

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, since I'm going to reformat and reinstall Win2k here tonight anyway, I decided to install this one and have a quick look. The install went fine and rebooted, but when it came up after the reboot, I got just one highly unuseful error message "Some error happened", and a message requesting me to zip my log files and send them to the developer. So I couldn't get it to even start up here, as someone else mentioned.

To anyone else, I'd recommend trashing this one. It's a waste of time...

16. Kaupp

Kaupp Guest

I had the same problem and sent them the log error

05/01/12 09:45:48 Load high-level plugin: D:\Program
    Files\R-TT\R-Firewall\HLEngine.dll (unknown)

they say on the support page they have an average response time less than 4 hours but I've still heard nothing back,I think I'll will pass on it aswell

Thanks for all the feedback

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.