Qwik-Fix

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by VikingStorm, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Interesting...

http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix/

"Qwik-Fix™ provides another layer of essential security by closing off the pathways that worms and viruses use to penetrate your PC.. It does not affect any of your virus programs, firewall or other programs. Had users installed Qwik-Fix™ on their PC’s, the recent LovSan/MS Blaster worm and the Sobig virus would have had no impact on them. And, it will close the doors that the next worm will try to enter thru to infect and spread its payload.

Qwik-Fix™ is a product of PivX LABS, and results from our work with some of the largest companies in the world. PivX is a premier security research company which has focused its security research efforts on Microsoft’s Windows® and its ubiquitous Internet browser, Internet Explorer. PivX and its worldwide network of security researchers has located, tested and verified hundreds of security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer alone. As a public service, PivX has also maintained a FREE public online listing of the vulnerabilities that were patched and those that remained Unpatched. Now we have developed Qwik-Fix™, a tool which helps protect your PC from these risky vulnerabilities.

Qwik-Fix™ is designed to pro-actively prevent known software vulnerabilities in Windows and Internet Explorer from being exploited by malicious hackers, virus writers and worm writers. Qwik-Fix™ is simple to use, Qwik-Fix™ is easy to download and install. Qwik-Fix™ is dynamic in that it serves as a temporary fix to known vulnerabilities until Microsoft releases a periodic monthly cumulative patch or a new Service Pack. As we find new vulnerabilities our subscribers will be updated immediately, thus staying one step ahead of the bad guys."

Does anyone know what exactly this does?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If this is an actual partial list of their clients it might not be a bad app to trial.

Attached Files:

3. bigc73542

http://www.pivx.com/news_arch_all.html
    News releases about Quick-Fix

If you trial this please let us know how it works. It would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

So far this program seems quite annoying... it readds itself to the start-menu, and reenables itself at start-up every time you run it. Trying to use the update function seems to freeze it a bit. I don't really see why it needs to run at start-up...

5. bigc73542

From what little I understand about this app. It probably loads at start because it is looking for faults in the windows system. It really sounds a little like a pain in the butt. I download all Ms. patches that are applicable to my system, I don't want some program to keep reminding me to update for what ever reason. Please keep me updated how the program works out, I may have to eat my words. :rolleyes:

- removed unnecessary attachment.

6. Guardsman

Guardsman Registered Member

Could anyone provide the link to download QF Pro beta?

Much appreciated.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

It ain't difficult....just Google Qwik-Fix....click on the Pro Beta....send the email.....in seconds you will get the URL to type into your addy bar (different URL for different systems)...D/L QF and there you have it......as far as I'm concerned it's a winner......it's your choice wether you Update or not...no different from updating your AVs etc.,....it's no big deal.....

I think the simple reason for the programme to be in Startup is because how else would it jump on the Wiggly Worms before they had chance to 'Worm' their way in to you OS??

Like the Dutchess said to the Vicar....."Don't knock 'til you've tried it".....if you try something to-day and you like it, you can do it again to-morrow... :D :D

8. Guardsman

Thanks Cochise,

It's really works after you'd try it,as PivX mentioned cold block this... & that... and close path to prevent...........!!!

Do you have any problems installing QF? I'm running XP Home.

Best regards.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tried it and didn't like it. Not needed if you keep up to date. It likes to call out.
    Not for me on XP! Just my opinion.

10. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Guardsman,

I'm on 98se.....I've had no probs as yet and can't really foresee any in the future....(Famous last words from Titanic Captain :D ) but then, I'm a born optimist and big believer in the old saying "Every little helps" ;)

What does it phone home about Ronjor Mate?.....if someone is checking on where I go and what I do there, they would find it so interesting they'd be fast asleep in seconds..... :D :D

Regards Cochise, :cool:

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I didn't leave it on my computer long enough to find out what it was doing! Please withdraw my comments and make up your own mind. :)

Same here Cochise--------boring zzzzzzzzzzzz

12. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

13. Guardsman

Thank you Tassie,

I'll give it a try on my home PC.Hope that it will work as it.

Best regards.

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've been using this program for a while and really like it. It's somewhere inbetween something like SmartFix and the Windows Automatic Updates. Basically it makes changes to your system as a quick fix until the vendor (Microsoft, AIM, and TurboTax are a few they mention in their whitepaper) can release a patch, reducing the amount of time that you are vulnerable. Apparently their main focus is intelligence, and they send out updates as soon as they find a vulnerability and a work-around for it. The idea is to provide a quick fix until a patch is released. They specifically state that it is NOT meant to substitute patching, but rather supplement it & make maintenance smoother. For example, if another Sasser was released tomorrow while I'm at work, chances are that they've already found the vulnerability and covered it, so I can calmly wait until next week/month/year for the patch (it apparently did actually protect it's users against Sasser & Bizex before they spread)

You want it to be run at startup, otherwise it's not going to do anything.. not letting it run at start up would be like not letting your virusscanner run at startup, and only ever running it long enough to collect updates. It applies fixes at start up and as soon as they are released.

As for using it on a day-to-day basis, it's really a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. I've never had any pop ups of any kind, no reminders or anything, and it's never interfered with anything I do. They make a more configurable version for corporations due to some of the services that might be used in a business setting, although the home version can be somewhat configured as well.

There is a white paper available at the bottom of the download page that gives a lot of information about what it does and the theory behind it, it's worth checking out along with the news on the home page. (http://www.pivx.com)

I just downloaded the updated version (thanks for posting the link!), looks pretty good, although it takes up a little more RAM, which is a little disapointing.. not a real big fan of the yellow buttons either, but that's neither here nor there. Between Pivx and Prevx, I'm just about ecstatic :) Something tells me, though, that they will both cost money down the road.. it's just too good to last, the first hit is always free...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  15. trollafrogg

trollafrogg Registered Member

i had the qwik-fix running on my machine for at least 8 months, and decided ( o_O ) that i would save myself the 8K of mem usage and i deleted it.

the next day i got hijacked by a drive by trojan/ web browser hack, that apparently is kicking ass . shot my Notepad to hell and regenerated itself as a random named .dll as soon as three different anti-virus cleanings were done.

gee, i put it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.