Quietest 'safe pay' type protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by silverfox99, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

What's the AV with the 'quietest' banking/safe pay protection module? - that you would happily put of your grannies machine? One or two AVs i have used make quite a big 'song and dance' when their safe pay protection springs into action (ie pop ups asking you to do this or that, open new browsers, input via protected keyboard etc). I suppose Trusteer would be one, but it often slows things down considerably. WSA would be another option, but i have reservations about it's true protection capabilities. Was having a look at BitDefender IS which as we all know is a top notch bit of kit, but it's not really for grannies.:)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used KISS, Avast Pro, and the BD Safepay.

If you set it up for her it should not be a problem. It is a matter of one click on Safe Money, choosing the bank, and signing-in.

I do not want to be nasty about it, but if that is too complicated then one should consider whether or not granny should be conducting such transactions on the computer.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

BitDefender's standalone Safepay is IME, easy to use and would be suitable for your granny.

Even less intrusive is F-Secure and its banking protection which is simply a flyer which is displayed at the top of the screen telling you that the Banking protection mode is now turned on.

G Data has banking protection, BankGuard, but at the present time has no notification sign when it is active. So this is very quiet!

But have you never thought of Sandboxie or simply using a Linux disc? Your grannie should be able to deal with these. Mine (91 years of age) uses Sandboxie.

Attached Files:

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I do support for older people, and given their limitations I would try Trusteer Rapport because it's active all the time and there's nothing to do. Apparently the impact on browsing varies and you might be lucky in this case. Combine it with any good, automated AV/IS.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

G-DATA 2014 banking protection also active all the time and invisible.

6. silverfox99

Thanks to all, will follow up on the options mentioned see what works best.

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Let me know if you have any questions on it - the Identity Shield successfully blocks all variants of browser-targeting malware that we've seen.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

If what you want is a standalone banking-protection app other than Trusteer, try Quarri's MyPOQ. Equal or better protection than Trusteer.

9. On-line banking only
    Simplest approach is a two browser approach (at least it works for my mother who becomes 80 this year). I would have chosen Bitdefender now, but she is allready used to this two browser approach.

a) chrome for daily browser

b) Internet explorer for banking
    - start in safe mode (without add-ons, either through GPO or adding -extoff in link)
    - add all banks to homepages to open at startup
    - allow only https and IP's of those banks through firewall rule (even without outbound allowing as default, you can still add a rule which only allows port 443 and limited IP scope).

For a PC illeterate a normal and safe browser makes sense, it makes them more aware of doing sensitive transactions. Two browsers also have the advantage that financial transactions triggered from mail or phising will start the default browser. Seeing the 'wrong' browser might trigger suspicion/prevent them from falling into these tricks. To increase difference between Chrome and IE, I have given Chrome a different colour skin (not blue).

On-line shopping & banking
    You really need an integrated solution. So my pick would be trusteer rapport or WSA. I have WSA for my wife. I increased the security settings for HTTP default also (protect browser from changes). Integrated approach works flawlessly for people seeking ease of use and buying stuff on the internet. It is my experience that the buy-now trigger overrides the hassle of any additional security threshold. Perfect security measures requiring additional action will be skipped (now is short for 'no wait' ;) )

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  10. guest

guest Guest

Trustter rapport

11. silverfox99

Thanks, that was really helpful

12. silverfox99

Thanks, that was really helpful, I like the sound of that setup :) The grandmother in question doesn't drive, so she does order quite a lot from home eg groceries, clothes, books, gifts for others - from a wide variety of sites. Looks like an 'integrated' solution would indeed be simplest/easiest. I had been testing out BitDefender on my laptop, its not clear that if you browse to a shopping site using your 'normal' browser instead of the BD 'Safe Pay' browser when you get to checkout https page, whether the BD protection is the same or less than if you open the safe pay browser, so i was a bit confused about that, and would rather not get into a discussion with her about the whys and wherefores of opening a different browser if you are going to buy something.

I'll test out Trusteer see if there's any 'slowing down' and also the 'integrateds' which i think are WSA, G-Data, F-Secure....

13. guest

guest Guest

Matousec Online Payment Test 1;
    http://www.matousec.com/info/reports/Online-Payments-Threats.pdf

Matousec Online Payment Test 2;
    http://www.matousec.com/info/reports/Online-Payments-Threats-2.pdf

Test 2 is newest test. So BD and Avast has better score because they improved solutions.

Truster, KIS, Bitdefender, Avast have very quiet and successful solutions.

You can use BD safepay as standolone app but KIS, Avast is complete product. Also WSA is complete product. I dont know can we use it with other AV/IS

I believe Truster and WSA doesnt protect against keylogger on Win8x64 systems. Keylogger can record keystrokes when browsing something. I checked with Spyshelter Leak Test.

Also Hitman pro alert is different concept but it can help you. Hitman pro alert, BD safe pay, Truster is free apps. Others want money.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice that Trusteer was not tested in Test 2.
    Jerry

15. silverfox99

What's going on with F-Secure there - 15/15 Fails? v2013 in December 2012 (with 'banking protection module' built in) should have been protecting against those threats in the Matousec test, no?

16. silverfox99

I know that no solution will provide 100% protection, looks like the bad guys are going after Rapport......

REVEALED: Cyberthug tool that BREAKS HSBC's anti-Trojan tech
    Browser lockdown method also used by PayPal

By John Leyden, 6th August 2013
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/06/trusteer_pushes_updates_after_cybercrook_brew_up_browser_lockdown_exploit/

Cybercrooks on an underground forum have developed a technique to bypass anti-Trojan technology from Trusteer used by financial institutions worldwide – including HSBC and Paypal – to protect depositors from cybersnoopers.

Trusteer has downplayed the vulnerability and said it's in the process of rolling out beefed-up protection anyway. However, independent security researchers who first spotted the exploit warn that bank customers remain at risk.

See also 'Comments' under the post.

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

On this page is ome more info on the Banking Protection from v2013, doesn't seem on par with competitors.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=345194&page=2

18. itman

itman Registered Member

I think using Trusteer Rapport is akin to "waving a red flag in a bull ring." The bad guys definitely have you targeted in the attack scope. There are also privacy issues with the product. On the version I used for a while, there was no way to prevent "phoning home" on your bank secured site.

19. itman

itman Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Does anyone know whether or not Bit Defender IS Safepay protects when using an unsecured WiFi? The stand alone Safepay paid versions claims it does so, but I do not see it on the BD site.

Thanks,
    Jerry

21. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes, as stated in its user manual. You have to logged into your Bitdefender account to enable the secure connection.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thank you.
    Jerry

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have BD IS 2014 installed and I'm going to check the secure connection option in a couple of days at one of the internet cafes...

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

That will be great. Many thanks, Vic. If it works I might go for BD at least for my laptop.:thumb:
    Jerry

25. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

WSA does block keyloggers on Win8 x64 (and Win7 x64). Ensure you're using an actual physical keyboard for the test (not a virtual machine, as there may be some differences there, although we should protect them from virtual machines anyway).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.