Quick Tor Configuration Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by superskid, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superskid

superskid Registered Member

I have Tor installed on my machine and have been running it just fine with the default settings for some time. However, there are a couple of programs that I use that automatically check for updates when they start up and strangely enough they connect through tor to do so. This is a pain when the update is a large file. 90mb today!

The program contains no settings internally, and if I close tor entirely I get an internet connection error.

What can I do to get these programs to still update correctly without going through tor.

Thanks,

2. neksus

neksus Registered Member

You should switch temporarily to direct internet connection when updating software,
    either by disabling proxy server use under Internet Options/Connections/LAN settings,
    or by using Privoxy's user interface URL (http://www.privoxy.org/config/)
    - if you can't access it, try changing the value of enable-remote-toggle in /etc/privoxy/config (or in config.txt
    if u use windows)
    More can be found at http://www.privoxy.org/faq/misc.html#TURNOFF

3. superskid

superskid Registered Member

I tried disabling privoxy by toggling it off with the link your provided, but the program still connects through tor directly and is taking forever to update.

4. spidey

spidey Guest

Is this a Windows machine? Did you check your Internet configuration via Control Panel like the previous post suggested? Something is directing your applications to use Tor and that would have to be your Control Panel settings imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.