Quick question

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Cormack, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cormack

Cormack Guest

I was wondering, lets say i make a rule which allow connections to the port 52000 when programA.exe is running.

While this program is runnig, will 'everything else' be able to access/use that port or is it only programA.exe?

i'm asking because i did a probe of a specific port while a program of mine was using that port, and it was shown as open.
    That kinda ruins the idea of the whole firewall concept, unless it still protects the port from connections 'outside' this app ofcourse.

Maybe worth to mention, this specific 'allow tcp/udp from port xxx' is placed in the top of the rules list...dunno if it has something to say.

2. Cormack

Cormack Guest

i'm using the enhanced ruleset btw.

3. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

All allowed (trusted) applications can use port 52000, when program A.exe is running. Even, when this rule in internet filtering limits the access to one specific application.

You can limit the outbound access of your applications in the "application filtering", though.

Regards,
    Thomas :)

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

If programA.exe opens the port 52000 in server mode, then a rule associated to programA.exe and opening port 52000 will really be dedicated to this application & port only.

For client mode, Thomas is right.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.