Quick Question Regarding Security Changes - using avast on-demand only

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Heres what I currently have:

Panda Cloud AV Pro, Spyshelter Premium, LnS, MBAM on Demand

Im changing to Sandboxie with all internet facing applications sandboxed. Spyshelter Premium real time, LnS real time, and Avast as an on demand scanner.

Now my question is using Avast as an on demand scanner only what modules should I select to install?

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Re: Quick Question Regarding Security Changes

If you wish to right-click a file and scan with avast!, then you need to install the File System Shield (I believe that's how it is called, don't remember). At least, that was my experience, when I tested it quite sometime ago in a virtual machine.

If you wish avast! for nothing else that using it as an on-demand scanner, and to scan a file by right-clicking it, then that's what you need install.

Other avast! users may let you know if this is correct.

-Edit-

You don't need to have the File System Shield settings enabled to scan a file when right-clicking it. You can disable it all.

3. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

Just tested in a virtual machine...
    You don't need to have any of the shields installed for on demand scanning, however, avast! shows a constant warning in the tray icon and GUI that your system is unsecured and you can't remove that unless you install the file shield.
    You could just remove the tray icon altogether if you want though...

4. whitedragon551

It will be on demand only.

5. m00nbl00d

Have you installed without File Shield? Can you confirm if you're able to right-click a file and scan with avast!? When I tested it sometime ago, as I mentioned before, I installed it without File Shield and when I tried to right-click a file and scan with avast!, the scanning process wouldn't start, at all. I had tested with the latest available version, which is the same that's still available for download.

Thanks

6. whitedragon551

I installed File Shield only. If I recall there is a setting in File Shield that enables the right click context menu.

7. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

Weird.. it's working fine here without the file shield..

8. m00nbl00d

Maybe some conflict with something else I had installed at the time in the virtual machine.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

U can use it on-demand with no shields installed at all, but I don't know if right-click scan will also work, on demand PC scans from the Avast GUI will. If you only want to scan your PC once in a while and turn off Avast, then you can turn-off self-defense in options and disable the autorun entry from Avast and set it's services to manual.

10. century

century Registered Member

I have a question here. If someone has Avast / Avira free installed & wants to scan his system with CureIt / BitDefender free, how should he go? Does he have to temporarily de-activate Avast / Avira beforehand?

Please forgive me if my question is out of context.

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't know of any conflicts between on demand scanners like cure-it and resident scanners, but disabling your resident scanner will probably speed up things as the file shield usually scans every file accessed by applications, thus also the on-demand scanner and so kind of does a full scan itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.