Quick Question - Error 108

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by a_pedestrian, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_pedestrian

a_pedestrian Registered Member

Thanks for your time, I really don't understand what's going on - I hope I've posted this in the right forum, if not please don't hesitate to move it.

I'm trying to scan with the eset nod32 online scanner within windows xp home sp2's safe mode with networking. It worked on my windows professional box, but on this computer I keep getting error 108, something about not being able to update.

Any idea what I can do to get the scanner working in safe mode? Thanks a lot!

2. a_pedestrian

Dang, no one has any ideas? o_O

3. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Hi and welcome to Wilders :). See this. If it still does not work scan with the latest Kaspersky AVP Tool instead.

thanatos

EDIT: Did you try in normal mode? Maybe your firewall is blocking the tool from connecting to the internet to download the needed rules.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. a_pedestrian

Thanks a lot for the response!

After entering safe mode and logging in as administrator the same problem occurs even after adding http://www.eset.com and http://www.eset.eu to Trusted Sites.

The strange thing is that logging in as my custom administrator account lets me scan just fine - it's only the base windows xp "administrator" login that has the problem.

That wouldn't bother me, but now I feel like something's corrupted in my computer, as the administrator account is what I want to use to scan - I like using it because it has the least processes running at a given time.

IIRC, the error read something like "Update Failed. (108 )" during the last quarter of the "initializing" step in the web client on IE.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a firewall running, I checked my process list and there's no firewall started as far as I can tell. It could be running outside the list, but I kinda doubt it.

Is there anything else I can try to get it working under the base administrator account? I'm running Avast but I like to check one antivirus against the other, and using an online scanner is the best way I know to do that.

Thanks again.

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Have you tried scanning in normal mode? When running the tool be sure to:

-install the needed ActiveX
    -disable your antivirus/antispyware/anti-trojan/antimalware software
    -allow sigcheck.exe to access the internet

Some experiencing the same problem, said it worked after several tries. It might be also that ESET update servers are busy. Try scanning later.

Let's wait for an ESET moderator's opinion on this problem.

thanatos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.