Quick 1st time setup questions:

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nsta, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsta

nsta Registered Member

Hey guys, im new to Nod32, and wanting to work out how to make the application work for my little home enviroment....

I have around 5 machines..,..and have a few quick questions...

1) How often should i have nod32 look for updateso_O...whats the average for most people

2) How often does Nod32 need to scan - is once per day fine...i was thinking immediately after logging in running a background scan as it doesnt seem to chew much resourse.

3) With the auto protect feature on, i have noticed that nod32 will pickup a virus and quaranteen it immediately - where does the file go too_Ostraight to the bin?....i ask this because there are bound to be times when the s/w is wrong and deletes a non-virus app/file etc....

4) How can i make nod32 scan without removing?....id like it to prompt me after the scan with files it found infected, and let me decide appropraite measure...is this also possbile with live protectiono_O

Thanks to all in reply:)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, once per 60 minutes
    2, it's up to you, once per 1-2 weeks would be enough
    3, when a file is cleaned, it goes to quarantine
    4, set the cleaning level to "no cleaning"

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

1) By default, ESET NOD32 Antivirus looks for updates every 1 hour. This should be sufficient enough. On average, ESET NOD32 Antivirus gets 2-3 updates per day.

2) By default, ESET NOD32 Antivirus does a background start-up scan after a successful update and at user-logon once per 24 hours maximum. This is sufficient enough. You should do a full system scan once per week, approximately. You can do one manually by clicking "Computer scan" and then "Standard scan" or set one up:

Start>All Programs>ESET>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    Toggle to Advanced mode.
    Click Tools.
    Click Scheduler.
    Click Add and choose On-demand computer scan in the drop down menu. Give it a name and how often it will run.

3) The file should go to Quarantine. You can restore if you need to there.
    Toggle to Advanced mode.
    Click Tools.
    Click Quarantine.

4) Press F5 when the ESET NOD32 Antivirus GUI is open. Select On-demand computer scan. Select Setup... for the ThreatSence parameter setup. Click Cleaning and select how ESET will deal with infections. In your case, it'll probably be right to the left at "no cleaning".

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

You beat me to it... I accidently pressed F5 when I had Internet Explorer open instead of the NOD32 GUI so it refreshed the page and erased my responose so I had to retype it. :(

5. nsta

nsta Registered Member

Whats the big difference between a background scan, and a full system one?.....

How big is an update, you were advising i may get ~3 a day, across ~5 of my machines, i hope im not going to be downloading alot everydayo_O....the first update definitions take awhile to be updated, im hoping i wont be d/l 3 of these a dayo_O

So all files go to quarantine once they are removed - does that mean the virus has been contained - or could it still be a threat until i have removed it from the quarantine area? - im glad it doesnt remove it altogether...in which case, i dont mind setting nod32 to strict cleaning...

Is there an easy way to distribute updates to nod32 pcs centrally?

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

The updates usually take just a few seconds to download and install and you don't need to click anything because it's done automatically (every 60 minutes it checks for new updates). I would leave the cleaning setting on its default setting because the default settings are the recommended ones.

Regards,

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.