Quibble and a Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by deango, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deango

deango Registered Member

Hi Folks.
    In Acronis 7 I was able to open the program and in the folder tree, select the external hard drive I back up to and then open the subfolders to delete previous backups I no longer needed.
    In Acronis 8 I don't have this option. I can select the drive but donot have subfolders and have to re-format the drive when Acronis 8 says it has run out of space.
    This is a flaw as far as I'm concerned and would like to know if this is corrected in Acronis 9 which I would like to upgrade to.
    Thanks. deango

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"and have to re-format the drive when Acronis 8 says it has run out of space."

Huh? Why can't you just delete the image files you don't want any more? I've run out of space more times than I can remember and the thought (or need) of reformatiing never crossed my mind.

3. deango

deango Registered Member

Hi. That's what I was able to do in Acronis 7. Delete the image files from the subfolders when Acronis showed the external drive in the folder tree. But Acronis 8 doesn't have the subfolders.
    Of course,I can open the external drive with 'My Computer', click on the external drive letter and delete the file images from there, but it doesn't remove the many dated file names from the Acronis program. deango

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

If Acronis deleted the option to delete from within TI, I must praise them (but, remember Brutus praised Caesar!).

Allowing users to delete the files from within TI, just makes it too easy to mess things up. Better to make users learn to do things the safe(r) way.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello deango,

There must be something seriously wrong with your True Image 8.0 installation as all versions of TI (including TI 9/9.1) show the .tib files in the selected drive's folder tree. I've just restored an old archive containing TI 8.0 and, as you can see, the screenshot below clearly shows a folder tree under the selected backup drive.

Regards

Attached Files:

6. deango

deango Registered Member

Very interesting Menorcaman !
    That is exactly what I had in Acronis 7 and donot have the subfolders in Acronis 8 !
    It must be from a bad install. Do you think I should reinstall over the installed program or uninstall and start fresh?
    I want to be able to use the extenal drive backup if necessary and wonder if uninstalling the first one will no allow me to do that.
    And thanks for the confirmation. I knew I wasn't crazy. (about that anyway)....deango

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello deango,

I would recommend that you uninstall your current installation of TI 8.0 as per these <earlier Acronis Support instructions> and then carry out a clean reinstall (if you upgraded from TI 7.0 you will need both the TI 7.0 and TI 8.0 serial numbers). Note that these instructions are different to those for uninstalling TI 9.0 Home that are referred to in the Acronis online FAQ.

Regards

8. deango

deango Registered Member

Thank you so much M.
    It's nice to feel connected to real people.

I will do as you recommend and thanks again....deango

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.