Questons about RD?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Rico, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello, Perhaps some silly questions but:

1. If I create a restore point prior to intall of RD, then unininstall RD & restore with the previously created restore point is RD totally gone.

2. In my system tray I have: google desktop, MSAS, ZA, Belkin Bulldog (UPS mgr), PC-Cillin, Folding@Home (distributed computing), Creative Labs (soundcard), TrojanHunter, GuruNet (similar to answers.com), & roboform.
    Any known conflicts here?

3. I also use Registry Mechanic 4.x, Privacy Guardian latest ver. Running any of these will RD balk or have problems with?

4. Often times "user" does not know what to "allow or block". If your not installing something do you just say no, when RD pops off?

5. Windows updates does RD allow this. Or would you just keep saying allow?

6. The spyware ISTbar, has shown up several times, PestPatrol says its, HKLM/??/software (can't remember exactly) will default RD stop this? Or ask me for permission?

7. Uninstalling other programs do you have to tell RD anything?

Thanks
    rico

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi, I personally can't answer all your questions, but here's some I can

1. Don't know the answer to this.

2. No conflicts with soundblaster, MSAS or TH (I have these). Not sure about the others, but I would be very surprised if it has any conflicts at all.

3. Regdefend has 'Application Permission Overrides' that allow chosen programs to be ignored by Regdefend...I would include your security programs and Registry cleaners - that way Regdefend will let them do their own things without causing popups to appear on your screen.

4. The default protection of Regdefend only protects the major autostart area's of your registry. If the program you are installing doesn't need to autostart (and you should have some idea of if it does or not), that would be something you would want to have a closer look at.

Regdefend does allow you to add custom keys that you want protected, which give you added protection, but may also cause obscure popups.

5. It's unlikely that windows update would set regdefend off, but if it does, it's trusted and you would just allow it.

6. Can't see the full path, so can't tell you for sure, but if you know the registry key path and want it protected, it's very easy to custom add the key.

7. Uninstalling RD is quite easy.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Rico,

1) I have installed and uninstalled RegDefend and don't recall any remnants being left behind - even after I ran RegSeeker. I don't recall whether the RegDefend directory is deleted, so you may have to delete this directory if it is still there.

2) No conflicts with MSAS (Giant) ZoneAlarm, Creative Labs.

5) There have been a couple of major Windows updates which RegDefend was detecting registry updates (I use Tony Klein's and Kent's extensions). I usually turn off these protections when I am doing a Windows upate that is causing these alerts.

6) Uninstalls have been very clean to the best of my recollection.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.