Questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter2150, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am still contemplating what I am going to do re the backup issue and I have a couple of further questions.

I am purchasing a 250gig external USB/Firewire drive. Current drive is 120gig with 11gig used. Only 1 partition on current drive.

Scenarios I want to protect against are 1) Total hardrive failure, and 2) something trashing the system beyond what GoBack can fix.

Biggest concern is How I know I have a reliable image without actually restoring it.

Questions:

1). Can the image and restore CD's be nondestructively tested. another words I don't want to try a restore and screw up my good disk.

2) Could I partition the new drive and restore from the image to another logical drive on the new drive to test?

3) I've actually considered using two different backup approaches since the USB drive will be most adequate. Would there be any reason why two different packages couldn't be used(not at the same time obviously) to do two separate and independent backups? (redunancy at the expense of time and a few bucks)

Thanks

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Answering Q3 first, I use both TI7 and Ghost 2003 to image to and restore from a slaved drive. However I use both "on demand" and restore via boot CDs. If you install TI's boot manager (required if using Secure Zone) , it will probably cause problems with GoBack's control of the MBR. Not sure if Ghost has an installable boot manager.

Answering Q1, TI7 (and Ghost) have built-in image verification tools. Thus far, no verified image has failed to restore.

Answering Q2, you can restore to another logical partition if you only want to access the data. If you want to actually boot it, you will have create a primary partition and make it active. Again, that may cause problems with GoBack.

Nick

3. Peter2150

Thanks Nick

I shouldn't need the Secure zone as I am going to use an external drive. I assume you can control if the boot manager is installed.

Do you have any idea how big an image file would be if the main drive has only 11gig used.?

The other package I am considering is Dantz Retrospect 6.5 I may use that with True Image.

Thanks again.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My main drive is using 13 of its 120 Gb capacity. The TI images are 6.84 Gb; the Ghost images are 6.96 Gb.

Nick

5. Peter2150

Hi Nick

I sent you a private Message

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.