Questions

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by doxboi, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doxboi

doxboi Registered Member

I have some questions about SpywareBlaster. Maybe I am over looking some things or just the answers are flting over my head. As far as I understand this program is suppose to be free for educational institutions (schools). Well then how come I need a key to run updates? Next, I thought the program stops SpyWare from installing. Well that does not seem to be true for all things. I was still able to get Cool Web Search to install. Next I thought that in order to block pop ups or installers from installing all I had to do is add it to the custom blocking list. Well I found that Netster was still able to install and that in order to add Netster to the list I had to go to other sites to find the CLSID's. ANd I found about 17 of them Now does that stop the POP-UP or the Spyware from installing? Doe not seem to be that way. I guess I need more help on setup. How to setup and configure. To and ordinary home user this program is not very friendly or self-explanitory. I do want to try it becasue of all the wonderful things I see others are saying. But if I cannot install it on all the workstations in our school (fully functional) so that I can block students from installing ad-ware and spyware then I done;t want to waste my time. Thank You for your assistance and excuse my ignorance. :)

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Let me see what I can do about addressing your questions. :)

The program itself is free, as is the manual Check for Updates feature built-into it. (Press the Updates tab, and then the "Check for Updates" button and it will download the latest databases). For automatic updating there is a small fee involved to help cover the additional bandwidth costs, but the automatic updating feature is completely optional.

Would you mind posting where and how you were able to get CWS installed? (I'm always looking for new variants to add, if possible.)

Please make sure you break the links though - i.e. "http://www" should become "hxxp://xxx." - to ensure that someone doesn't accidentally become infected.

Would you mind posting the link for where you could install this one as well? (Again, breaking the link.) :)

This thread should provide some more information on how the Custom Block List works.

Well you can indeed install it on all of the workstations at your school (assuming it fits the guidelines of course), and the built-in Check for Updates feature will allow you to download the latest updates - but you will have to go around machine by machine and run that once per week to ensure things are up-to-date.

The automatic updating option is available, but does require a nominal fee to help cover the additional bandwidth costs.

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. doxboi

doxboi Registered Member

I do not remember specifically where I went. To test it I just began to go to random game sites, clicked on banners or anything just to get a pop up to show. I do know now that I did not have the boxes checked under Customize the Block List, would this of prevented SpywareBlaster from working correctly? As for your explaination on entering web sites to block are you saying I should enter them in as "hxxp://xxx.netster.xxx". Where x is a wildcard and recognized in SpywareBlaster, or where x is a specific address? Here is my adware log ona test workstation that I have been testing Spyware Blaster on. (W2K SP4)

Vendor Type Category Object Comment
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@ad-logics[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@atdmt[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@customize.netster[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@finance.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@laurel.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@news.netster[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@tmpad[2].txt www.searchtraffic.com
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@trafficmp[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@weather.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@www.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@www1.yesadvertising[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@www4.yesadvertising[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@z1.adserver[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\administrator\cookies\administrator@zedo[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@bfast[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@customize.netster[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@doubleclick[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@finance.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@it.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@mediaplex[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@news.netster[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@qksrv[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@server.iad.liveperson[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@tribalfusion[2].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@weather.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@www.netster[1].txt
    Tracking Cookie File Data Miner c:\documents and settings\workstation\cookies\workstation@z1.adserver[2].txt
    Windows RegData Data Miner HKEY_USERS:.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings"Client ID" () MediaPlayer Unique ID
    Whenu-ClockSync RegKey Data Miner HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{E2F2B9D0-96B9-4B25-B90C-636ECB207D18}\
    Alexa RegKey Data Miner HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}\
    WeatherCast RegKey Data Miner HKEY_CURRENT_USER:Software\WhenU\
    SaveNow RegKey Data Miner HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT:WUSN.1\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.