Questions when eveluating Paragon Backup & Recovery?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Fjodor2000, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Registered Member

Questions when evaluating Paragon Backup & Recovery?

Hi,

I am currently evaluating Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 as a backup solution and have some questions:

1. Is it possible to configure a schedule so that if the scheduled time is missed (e.g. due to the computer being turned off at the scheduled time), the backup will run automatically the next time the computer is started (or a user logs on)?

2. After a backup has been created and configured using the Wizard, is it possible to edit all the settings for that backup in the Wizard? Or must any changes be made directly in the backup script that the Wizard created?

3. Is it possible to set up schedule such as this:
    -Make a complete backup each day.
    -Make sure that there are 3 complete and error-free backups, but no more. I.e. if a backup is missed, or fails, do not remove any backup until a new error-free backup is made.

4. Is it possible to set up a schedule such as this:
    -Every 4 weeks, make a complete backup.
    -Every week after that, make an incremental backup, until a new complete backup is made.
    -Remove backups older than 9 weeks.
    -Make sure that there are always least 2 error-free complete backups.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

1. You can modified the Scheduled time in the Advanced to try and repeat the task repeatedly till successful. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Task > Schedule tab > Advanced.

2.The only way to edit an existing scheduled task is to either right-click the task and edit script or recreate the task with the new settings.

3. Run the Cyclic Backup Wizard. Cyclic Backup will automatically retain a specified amount of archives and only delete the oldest set.

4. The backup scheme you specified is highly customized and you would have to modify the script to achieve such. As a reference, take a look at the following document to setup a 2 week backup scheme. You can of course modify that even further to do as many sets and intervals as you please.

http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/support/DB10/Drive_Backup_10_Custom_Cyclic_Backup.pdf

3. Fjodor2000

Fjodor2000 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply!

1. I found the Windows Task Scheduler settings that you described for the Paragon backup task. However, the option that says "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" is disabled and cannot be changed. Is there any way to enable this? Also, how come this cannot be enabled directly in Paragon Backup & Recovery 10?

3. I'm not sure which wizard you mean? Is the "Cyclic Backup Wizard" a special wizard, or is it just the standard "Schedule backup of disk or partition" wizard, where some special settings are used? Could you plese specify exactly how to launch the Cyclic Backup Wizard from the Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Suite?

5. (new question): I wonder if there are any limitations to what backup archives can be mounted as a drive in Windows? I have created a backup of a hard drive, and the backup archive is stored on a network share. I have added the backup archive to the archive database in Paragon Backup & Recovery 10, so that it is seen under "Archives" tab. However, when I select the backup archive and go to the menu "Archives", the menu option "Mount the selected archive" is disabled and cannot be selected. Now I wonder it this is because the backup archive is located on a network drive, or if there is some other reason for this?

PS. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. DS

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

1. To have that option available, you have to change "Configure For" to "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2"

2. First click on Switch to Full Scale Drive Backup Pro if you're in the express mode. Then Wizard > Backup Utilities > Cyclic Backup.

5. I was notified that the mount function is temporarily disabled for Windows 7 64bit because of a driver issue. We can expect an update to address this issue in the future, but for the time being, mounting is disabled. You are still able to access your archive without doing a complete restore by using the File Transfer Wizard or Volume Explorer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.