Questions to the administrator(s)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Hagla007, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagla007

Hagla007 Registered Member

Good evening!

Please tell me the differences between the "exclusive" firewall you deliver, and the others? Why should I use your firewall(I do know you don't have a stand-alone firewall)? What is the weakest part in Eset's firewall?

Best regards,
    Hagla007

(I apologize for bad grammar.)

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It is probably best to contact the sales department for these types of questions, since they often fall into the presales category of questions asked prior to making a purchase. Since A vs. B type discussions are rather frowned upon, I'll try to give you a high level overview of the feature set, and perhaps that will answer your question.

ESET Personal Firewall is a module included in ESET Smart Security. It is bi-directional (checks network traffic both entering and exiting the computer) and is both IPv4- and IPv6-aware.

has the following five modes of operation:
    • Automatic Mode: Firewall automatically configures itself and runs with little to no user interaction.
    • Automatic Mode with Exceptions: Firewall automatically configures itself and runs with little to no user interaction, but user can still create custom rule sets.
    • Interactive Mode: Firewall prompts users to create rules as new types of network communications occur.
    • Policy-Based Mode: Firewall follows existing rule set. Actions not covered by a rule are denied.
    • Learning Mode: Firewall allows and automatically creates rules for all activity.

Profiles can be created to contain sets of rules. A rule can be created so that it is applicable for a specific profile, or be globally active in all profiles. One might create profiles for use on a work LAN, home LAN, wireless connection at a coffee shop, and so forth.

Networks can also be identified as Trusted Zones for passing traffic.

ESET Personal Firewall can switch profiles automatically, including by detecting when it is on a certain network by means of a free authentication tool (ESET Authentication Server).

The above features are your classic software type of firewall rules, which govern the ingress and egress of TCP/IP packets over the network interface.

In addition to these functions, the ESET Personal Firewall module also has functionality that, while often lumped together under software firewalls, is more properly classified as host-based intrusion detection and/or intrusion prevention feature sets. These include, but are not limited to:
    • allowing or blocking of certain network protocols (UPnP, RPC, IGMP and so forth)
    • detection of various wide-spread network worms
    • attacks aimed at parts of the network stack (ARP cache, DNS server, port scans and so forth
    Additionally, the firewall can detect changes made to network-aware programs. This is one way in which files modified by a classic parasitic file-infecting computer virus can be detected. Of course, since the detection is for modifications and not for behavior, legitimate actions like updating a file by installing a new version (installing a new version of a web browser, or a network service that gets upgraded through a hotfix or by applying a service pack) will get detected as well. In order for this function to work, though, it has to be enabled before the changes occur, otherwise there is no baseline for against which it can make a comparison.

There are quite a few other features in there, as well as modes of operation I haven't gone completely into or simplified, but that is because we're really getting outside the scope of the support forum and into pasting technical or documentation or marketing collateral verbatim, which I don't think would be very helpful.

If you have any further specific technical questions about the ESET Personal Firewall module, please let us know. If you are interested in speaking to a salesperson, you can send your contact information via the forum's private messaging subsystem and we can have someone get in touch with you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Hagla007

Hagla007 Registered Member

Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.