Questions Regarding ShadowUser Settings

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dina, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dina

Dina Registered Member

hi guys. got several questions and would like to clarify some things regarding the settings of SU. Its my first time to use this type of application so please forgive me for asking some basic questions. Ive read the manual, went to their forum and site. Ive tried running on shadow mode a couple of times (and I really like what it can do) but I thought it would better to hear first from the users themselves before proceeding. Ive also read through posts here in this forum.

First, regarding the Exclusion List and the Auto Commit list. I understand that if I include a folder in the exclude list, it means that when whatever I do with them, (edit files, add files, delete files) when I reboot my system, these changes will "stick" permanently. So if I add a folder named Wilder in the exclusion list before going into shadowmode, and then add some files inside it while I am in shadow mode, when I reboot, I will see those files I added.

Autocommit list, from what I read in the manual, is described as follows :

Does it also mean that what I put inside the auto comit list, will also be saved when my system performs a reboot? If so, then what is the difference with the exclusion list? I had a rather difficult time understanding the manual, so I hope I'd hear it from the users' own words.

An example of what I would like to do is to freeze the entire system but at the same time, be able to update my antivirus and/or use my download manager even when Im on shadow mode. So let's say Im on shadow mode, then update my antivirus, I want it so that when I reboot, the updates will reflect and can be seen even after reboot. And nothing else changed.

Im asking this because as Ive said, Ive tested the program for a day. I wanted to save all the tasks made by my download manager (Internet Download Manager) to be saved. SO what I did, before going to shadowmode, I added the entire "Program Files folder" and also the entire "Documents and Settings folder" because this is where I thought all the data goes for the said program. I went to shadow mode, put several files on queue, I had some at about 50 percent and then rebooted (through start button, turn off computer, restart). The files that I finished downloading, which I saved in C:\Downloads (which is in the exclusion list) got saved. But when I opened my download manager, there was no trace of the files that I put on queue while I was on shadowmode. So Id like to know what I did wrong and what I should have done.

Id like to do the same with my antivirus, which is Kaspersky.

That's about it for now. Sorry for the long post, and if something is not clear or more info is needed, please advise, Ill try my best to explain, as english isnt my first languange, a lot may not be clear.

Any response would be appreciated and thank you very much for taking the time to read.

Good day to each and everyone of you.

Regards,

Dina

This is whats in my PC, just in case there could be conflicts or issues ill write them down.

I have Windows Xp pro, one hard drive, two partitions,
    agnitum outpost firewall
    kaspersky antivirus personal pro
    ewido security suite
    adaware se pro
    spybot
    the rest are just simple programs so I dont think there would be any more that can cause issues.

PS, to mods, hope I posted in the right section, if I didnt, my sincere apologies.

2. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Here is the difference between Exclusion List and Auto Commit from SU Help.

So the difference is on "Full System Save" and "non-standard shutdown". I personally use the Exclusion List only, as I found that the Auto Commit List would cost extra time at Shutdown.

In general, you should keep Exclusion List or Auto Commit List as 'small' as possible for higher security. So I do not think it is a good idea to put entire "Program Files folder" and also the entire "Documents and Settings" folder on Exclusion List or Auto Commit List.

What I did for KAV update is to put "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro" (depends on your own settings) on the Exculsion List instead of the entire "Documents and Settings" folder.

For your download manager, you should be able to find the specific location where it saves settings or status (download file list), and put it on the Exclusion List or Auto Commit List.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  3. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Thank you so much for the reply. I dont have much time atm but Id like to thank you first for the quick response. Will post back later tonight with more proper response and edit this post.

I appreciate it.

Good day.

4. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Hello yahoo. Thanks again for the reply and your suggestions.

At the moment, this is what I have :

1 drive, 2 partitions, c: and d:
    Exclusion list - C:\downloads
    Protected Drive - C:\
    Nothing on the AutoCommit list

----------------------------------------------

I. Question

If for example Im in shadowmode, I installed an application, I find out I like it, and I want it to be saved so I can have use it on my system forever, is this the right way of doing it? :

Open shadowuser
    choose "disable shadowmode(lose all changes)"
    upon reboot, (now shadowmode is off) install the software
    activate shadowmode

or should I choose one of the options below?

II. Question

This is from the help :

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3338/2qw1.png

Since I have stuff in the Exclusion list, when I am in shadowmode, these are the options I have when I click on the Mode button :

1.) Disable shadowmode (lose all changes)

So when I reboot, shadowmode is disabled, everything I did in C:\downloads folder when I was in shadowmode is saved and everything else is lost. Is this right?

2.) Disable shadowmode (file save only)

Help file says :

Since I have nothing in my Auto Commit list, does that mean that when I click on this option, it is the same as "Disable shadowmode (lose all changes)"? So everything I did inside C:\downloads when I was in shadowmode will be seen after reboot?

3.) Restart shadowmode (lose all changes)

If I click this, is it the same as shutting down windows from 1.) start menu>restart and 2.) reboot of pc from power outage?

4.) Restart shadowmode (file save only)

Same thing as above because I do not have anything in the Auto Commit list. (o_O)??

III. Question

I read this when I was looking for more info regarding shadowuser. Here is the quote :

Let's say Im going to install a program that needs reboot to complete installation. I use WindowBlinds so I'll just use it as an example. How should I do it if for example

1.) after installation, I want to keep Windowblinds so I can keep it on my system forever, shadowmode or not. (turn off shadowmode, install it, then turn on shadowmode?)

2.) after installation, I decide not to keep windowblinds and I would like my system to be back like I did not install windowblinds at all.

Please if possible can anyone explain in a step by step way.

Sorry for the long read. I know I can test it myself and the manual and this forum was great help but I just want to know if I got things right before proceeding. And at the moment I do not have a backup of my system and I am afraid if I screw things up, especially with a powerful program such as SU, I might be typing a longer letter trying to fix things.

Hope you all understand. Also maybe this can be a help in the future for newbie users of shadowuser also.

Any response, suggestion, tips, is welcome. Thank you for your time and good day.

Dina

5. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Yes, at least that's what I do. If you have the option "Full System Save" available, you can utilize it too. But I do not think "Full System Save" is good for security even if it is available.

Yes, I agree with you.

The answer is 1).

I think so too.

What spy1 talked about is the "Continue ShadowMode Session After Reboot" under the "option" menu. When the option is checked, SU does what spy1 described.

You turn off shadowmode, install it, uncheck "Continue ShadowMode Session After Reboot" option, then turn on shadowmode.

Just reboot off shadowmode (losing all changes), uncheck "Continue ShadowMode Session After Reboot" option, and reboot back into shadowmode.

Although ShadowUser's manual and help file are not as easy reading as a novel, I believe it is still quite short, clear, and easy to follow.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  6. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks so much yahoo for all the help. Ive begun testing different scenarios and this is one of the best.

Thanks again for taking the time and hope you have a good day.

Regards,
    Dina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.