Questions re: TI Rescue Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by timos, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timos

timos Registered Member

Greetings everyone,

Today, after suffering through various errors and confusing messages, I finally got the following series of steps to work without failing. I still do not, however, feel 100% comfortable that I can recover my internal hard drive from my backup images.

Below is a description of my computing environment:

* TrueImage version: 8.0 build 764
    * PC: Dell Dimension XPS B866r (866 MH w/ 512MB RAM)
    * Operating System: Windows 98SE w/ latest service packs and know patches
    * Internal hard drive: Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 (connected via Promise Ultra/133
    PCI controller; one partition)
    * External hard drive: Maxtor 160GB OneTouch (connected via ADS Firewire
    PCI controller; two partitions D & E)

Here’s as far as I got before bailing out:

I used TI (running under Windows) to successfully create a set of image files in the first partition of my external HD. I let TI use the default for creating image files and it created nine tib files.

Next, I performed a “Check Image” and after about 1.5 hours got back the message – “The image archive was successfully verified.” It is my understanding that if there is more than one image file, you only have to perform a “Check Image” on the first file in the set and TI is smart enough to check the other tib files.

Anyway, after creating the image files, I decided to do a partial test of the restore function from a TI Rescue disk. I created a full version of Rescue on an Iomega zip disk and used it to boot my PC. TI then successfully loaded.

When I selected the “Restore Image” option, it automatically went into its “verifying mode.” It proceeded to verify both partitions even though the second partition was empty. This took about a half an hour. During this time, I noticed the activity light on the external drive being hit about every few minutes.

I then got the message, “Please select an image in the tree below then press Next to restore the partitions this image contains.” The Next button was grayed-out at this point.

I then selected the partition (drive D) where the image files were located; TI then produced a drop-down list of the nine tib files. I selected the first file in the list causing the Next button to become un-grayed.

At this point, nothing seemed to be happening. Then I noticed an hourglass on the screen and disk activity on the external HD (similar to what I saw during the verification process). It was as though it was trying to perform a second verification on the image file(s). TI gave me no indication or message as to what it was doing at this point.

The hourglass (and disk activity) continued for over ten minutes. Since I wasn’t sure what was happening, I decided to reboot/reset my PC and bring up Windows – it came up okay.

Here are my questions:

1) Why did I get the hourglass after selecting the first tib file to restore? Was it trying to verify the file set again or was it just hung? If working as designed, what should I expect to see at this point?

2) When performing a “Check Image” from TI (under Windows), do you have to check each tib file in the file set?

3) When restoring image files using a TI Rescue disk, do you have to restore each tib file or is TI smart enough to get the rest?

4) I want to be able to do a limited test of the restore process without actually rebuilding my C drive? Can I use TI Rescue to restore image files from one partition to another on the same HD (i.e., my external HD)?

The ONLY reason I purchased TI was so that I could recover my internal C drive (if lost) without having to reload/rebuild Windows (and all my applications) from scratch. If the TI Rescue Restore will not work or is unreliable, TI is worthless as far as I’m concerned.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards… timos

2. mdobbins

mdobbins Registered Member

Your first partition may actually be a Dell diagnostic partition (factory installed). True Image cannot recognize this and goes into the twilight zone. Select the next image file and see if this helps. Did for me when I had a similar problem with a dell laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.