Questions re: Image Filesets & Incremental Backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by timos, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timos

timos Registered Member

Hello everyone,

Using the TI image file size default, it takes me nine tib files to backup my entire 80GB C drive.

I have a few questions:

1) Once a backup fileset is created on an external HD, can you rename the files or move them to a different folder?

2) When doing an incremental backup, does TI modify one or more of the original tib files (from the full backup), or does it create new tib files and append them to the original fileset?

3) If it does append new files for an incremental backup, when doing a restore, do you have to select the tib files in a particular order or can you just select the first original tib file and expect that TI will restore the appropriate incremental file(s) as well?

Below is a description of my computing environment:

* TrueImage version: 8.0 build 764
    * PC: Dell Dimension XPS B866r (866 MH w/ 512MB RAM)
    * Operating System: Windows 98SE w/ latest service packs and know patches
    * Internal hard drive: Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 (connected via Promise Ultra/133
    PCI controller; one partition)
    * External hard drive: Maxtor 160GB OneTouch (connected via ADS Firewire
    PCI controller; two partitions D & E)

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Regards… timos

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

1) You can move them wherever you want. You may be able to rename them, but you'll have to make sure that the number at the end does not change. For example <filename><n>.tib ... <n> should be left the same.

2) ATI creates new TIB files as needed. The existing TIB files are not modified.

3) You can select any TIB out of the "set" to do a restore. ATI will present you with a dialog displaying the available dates for restoring. For example, if you do a full backup on the 1st, and then incremental backups on the 8th and 16th of the month, TrueImage will let you choose which of those dates you would like to restore your data to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.