questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Barbara Parker, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara Parker

Barbara Parker Registered Member

From other forums, I know to search the archives for answers before posting, but did not find what I was looking for......so here goes

New to TI. Installed on desktop computer, created a backup disc, and backed up on ext. h/d. All went well.

Have just gotten a laptop, and would like to create a clone. Both OS have XPpro. Can I hook the computers together thru USB ports and clone, or do I have to d/l to another medium? If I have to d/l, can I put the clone on the same ext h/d as the backup?

I am planning to continue using both computers, but it sure would be easy if both were the same. Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated. thanks !

2. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Wouldn't TI 9 need to be installed on both computers? Will Acronis allow that with a single registration? I imagine one could install on the desktop, image or back-up the drive, then uninstall on the desktop and then install anew on the laptop. But I would think there might be problems with hardware and architecture differences between the desktop and laptop. I'd be careful.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Well cloning could be done but it is a complicated process to clone to different hardware and there would be no guarantee of success. I have recently had the same problem and decided to to it the simple way. I left both XP installations untouched. Look long and hard at your installed programs to decide which ones you really need on the Laptop and then install them. Your contacts, addresses and emails can be exported and imported to the Laptop. Incoming emails can be left on your ISP's server so they can appear on both computers. If you include yourself as a recipient you will automatically keep incoming and out going mails on both computers.
    The next step would be to network the two machines so that you can share the same files, printer and internet connection.
    All the above does not involve cloning or imaging in any way. My view is that one is best advised to keep them separate but on a network so that you can use either one to do your tasks.

Xpilot

4. Barbara Parker

Thanks for the quick response. And I thought it would be so easy!!! What would happen if I installed TI on the laptop then imported the backup, rather than cloning. Would that work? I am trying sooooo hard not to do it the old fashioned way, installing all programs one by one, then transferring the files.

5. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

A related question is: TI9 is registered and installed on my desktop. I made a rescue CD. Can I use that rescue CD to boot my laptop and back-up/restore files and folders from the laptop without installing TI on the laptop? In other words, is it legal and possible to use a single TI rescue CD to make back-ups or images of two different machines to an external drive?

edited to remove blank space - Detox

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

No, No a thousand times NO. It would not work. The Old Fashioned Way is best ( It tastes good too!)

Take the advice from your stand-in Grand Pa. What seems the long way can in fact be the best.

Xpilot

7. Barbara Parker

thanks xpilot,

Didn't want to mess up the new laptop. All along I thought cloning was from one computer to another. Was I wrong? Geez, this gets curiouser and curiouser!

8. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

I think much of the problem is that the desktop and laptop probably have different hardware...video, sound, processor, etc. If you were to do a full image restore or clone the drive from the desktop to the laptop you would end up with some files and drivers specific to the desktop now trying to control the laptop. There may be other problems as well. Certainly if you had two identical systems, or want to merely go to a bigger drive on the same computer, cloning should be great. I hope I said that correctly.

9. Barbara Parker

Azdon,

Finally I am beginning to understand. To clone, the donor and receiver have to be identical. I am sure this will not be the case, as the desktop is a two year old Dell (xp pro) and the laptop is HP (xp pro) The desktop is pent 4, and the other is not. Thanks for the clarification.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Barbara Parker,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - transfers the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please read more in this FAQ article.

Please also note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Please remember that in order to clone or migrate your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#30

We would loke to add that even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation tool (sysprep) we cannot guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in corresponding Acronis True Image version User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Azdon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, it's possible to create the bootable rescue media on one computer, boot another computer with it without Acronis True Image installation and use it in rescue mode.

However, please be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used. So you should have 2 licenses of the software to perfrom your actions.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.