Questions about Vipre

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fuzzfas, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I am trialing Vipre and since i can disable Threatnet i like it a lot.

1) I have a question about email scanner. It supports POP3.
    If i change to advanced settings the port to 995, will it cover POP3 SSL?

If not, is there a way not to have the icon grayed out if i disable the email scanner?

2) In the case of false positives (i had 2) is it enough to send them to Sunbelt via the built in feature or must i send them to some other email for false positives?

3) The "Handling of Unknown". In the help file there is:

"Prompt me if an unknown program tries to run or change important system settings - This is an increase in protection compared to the above option, where by you will be prompted whenever an unknown program tries to run. Select this option only under extreme security conditions, such as a virus outbreak AND under careful use. "

It is highly recommended NOT to activate this. The way i understand it, it's like a process guard. Provided that one replies correctly (i don't intend to block windows processes or drivers), is there a reason not to use it? I mean, it won't make Windows crash or something? The description looks like it's something like a classical HIPS antiexecutable feature.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You don't need your AV to scan your email.

3. Fuzzfas

I know, i actually prefer not to have mail scanner. But it bothers me because if i don't activate it, my nice Vipre tray icon turns grey, like if the AV was not working.

So, either i have to learn to live with the grey icon, or i will keep it enabled to scan... nothing because i use pop3 ssl...

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/7630/84507420.png

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6076/50764999.png

Icon with mail scanner off (grey).

Icon with mail scanner on (even if my mail client doesn't use that port).

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

wow the vipre icon is hideous... :D

5. Fuzzfas

To tell you the truth, the logo itself makes me feel a bit uneasy , since i hate snakes. But i like the program and... the price. :D And it's very light. Avast with only standard shield is lighter on CPU, but this is light too.

The tray icon is very simple, but for someone coming from Twister, Vipre seems like a complete GUI modernization. :D

If it doesn't scan POP3 SSL (which i am afraid it doesn't) , i will probably leave the mail scanner "active" (scanning the wrong port), because otherwise i fear that the resident scanner may be deactivated and me not realizing that because of the grey icon.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the "V" in the middle of the icon is so blocky it just looks terrible though...

7. qpok

qpok Registered Member

Finally we are in the heart of serious AV discussion... What should a good tray icon look like? .) Joking aside, the only peculiarity in the Vipre GUI to me is the history page under management section. On all the tabs you have buttons to select all events and then delete button to delete the selected events. But for some reason the system tab has different layout with buttons to select all events and delete all events. And inconsistency in GUI is never a good thing imo.

For reference, history tab for active protection: http://i.imagehost.org/0650/vipre1.gif
    And then the buttons in system history tab http://i.imagehost.org/0197/vipre2.gif

8. Fuzzfas

Yes, it reminds a bit of Windows 98 graphics era. :D

Anyway, the issue Avast had with Opera is also with Vipre. It's an Opera setting. So, i m back to Avast at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.