Questions about TOR and Polipo OSX

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by robbo007, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbo007

robbo007 Registered Member

Hey All,
    I've installed Tor and polipo on my OSX 10.6 and seems to be all working fine except somewhere its leaking my real IP address. When I do a few more advanced tests I see my real IP.

All the basic test work and I'm connected to to Tor network and navigating anonymously.

Can anyone help to find where it's leaking my address?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. robbo007

robbo007 Registered Member

Got it all working. MSN, SKYPE etc. I checked the logs to see if it was really working. I setup SOCKS for MSN.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I just recently installed Vidalia bundle and the only issue I have run into is some sites that won't work with it. Google seems to hate Tor as Youtube won't work with it (at least I never could get it to).

4. katio

katio Guest

First of all it would be unbearably slow and you shouldn't use plugins like Flash anyway. Unless you are in a VM and route ALL traffic though Tor.

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

True but the Google searches would not. Every time I do a Google search with Tor enabled I keep getting a Captcha page. From my experience Google does not like Tor.

6. katio

katio Guest

use scroogle.org (while they're still up), or bing

7. Justhappytobehere

Justhappytobehere Registered Member

I'm having the same problems with Tor. I've used Tor for a couple years with no problems and my postings usually show as coming from overseas Germany, Netherlands etc. But recently somehow no postings show from overseas with Tor activated and all post show coming from my IP or within 50 or so miles of my IP. I was posting heavily on a forum called Topix.com when this happened. I'm totally green at computer security settings.
    I vaguely remember maybe or not clicking on a drop down banner asking permission to run flash media adds on Topix and have been searching and removing lso cookies with Firefox add on called Better Privacy ever since in hopes of solving the problem but no solution yet. The problem seamed to start when a pop up started stating "fatal error Privoxy couldn't connect to port 8118" but now no such pop ups happen but still Tor shows as activated but my IP still shows as local even though I've uninstalled and reinstalled Tor. Anyone have any Ideal what happened

8. Justhappytobehere

Justhappytobehere Registered Member

An update, I connected another PC and it doesn't have this problem so its not in the router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.