Questions about the danger of spyware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rmus, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I had occasion recently to revisit the topic of spyware. Two questions:

1. Is the following a good up-to-date characterization of spyware?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
    2) For those who use an Antispyware program, if you have been alerted to potential spyware, can you give details of the occurrence(s)?

thanks,

----
    rich

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

IMO many spyware is not really harmfull,but watch out for the most dangerous of the flock.....KEYLOGGERS.
    They can bring you financial loss.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Don't forget rootkits,trojans and malicious scripts.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Microsoft in their haste just to produce the world's most famous computer operating systems for home and business sure left WIDE OPEN a virtual landslide of possibilities for other programmers to slip, slide, and otherwise infiltrate these systems thru innumerous entry points left completely uncovered.

And, i suppose that was the intention all the time in order to encourage what now is a mass security business field to fill in those gaps on our behalf.

That being said, coverage of a great deal of potential disruptions to these systems is been drastically reduced thanks in most part to all these PC security development companies and in larger part to individual developers who have created even more precise innovations to help keep us moving unhindered.

But theres still plenty left to accomplish. The good news is that at least as concerns NT Systems, security advancements have taken a massive bite out of malware's easy entry access to these systems provided those systems have adequate enough coverages in place.

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

How do you suggest I determine which are not really harmful?

----
    rich

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

In all of the discussions I've read, these are separate categories besides spyware, which has been the rationale for having a separate antispyware program.

----
    rich

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Nice summary, but doesn't address my two questions.

----
    rich

8. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

1.I like it :p

2.I don't quite understand the question (english is not my native language), but a friend of mine recently was infected with "YOUR PRIVACY IS IN DANGER" spyware/malware or whatever the hell it is. SAS took good care of it :)

9. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I would like to know the details as to how the infection took place:

==> what web site?

==> did the infection occur without the knowledge of the person (drive-by download)?

==> or did the person choose to install something which turned out to be infected?

----
    rich

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

'' Really harmfull '' is in the eye of the beholder,so i can't speak for you.

Financial losses due to spyware activities on your system,is what i call really harmfull.

I keep no private,secret data on my system,they maybe log my surfing habits and then bombard me with advertising,but what's the deal,as long as i can kill keyloggers who try to log and e-mail out my bankaccounts,everything else is of minor consequence.but that's just me.I guess many will think different.

11. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

He downloaded a crack!

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=66086000xh8.jpg

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

From my point of view, there are no degrees of "harmful." eg:

==> a little bit harmful (advertisements delivered by some adware program installed)

==> more harmful (program changes your browser homepage)

==> very harmful (keylogger, etc)

Something is either unwanted or not. To "categorize" malware is to deal on the level of effects, and introduce fear and confusion in many people. I would rather concern myself with the cause: how is something unwanted delivered? There are just two principle methods,

1) User chooses to install something which turns out to be infected:

2) Unwanted program installs by Remote Code Execution (drive-by download)

An old example:

http://www.urs2.net/rsj/computing/tests/regclean/

The reason I'm "revisiting" this topic is that I concluded long ago that spyware is just unwanted stuff in a different guise, and that a separate antispyware program in addition to one's own basic security procedures was not necessary.

But recently, an acquaintance saw an article in her local newspaper technology section about spyware, which "suggested" that a separate antispyware program was necessary to prevent this type of infection.

So, I'm wondering if anything about spyware has really changed these days. So far in this thread, I've not found anything different about spyware than has always existed.

But someone else may have a different perspective.

----
    rich

13. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

See 'Are You Wasting Your Money Buying Antispyware Software?'.

P.S. Viruses are coming back as a way of getting malware, due to the increased use of USB drives, external hard drives, etc.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To make it short ; Just to be common sense........a) a spying cookie used for targeted advertising.
    b) a spyware that steal your personal data and steal your bankaccounts like a keylogger.

What hurts most ? I guess you know the answer.

So there is certainly some degree in harm that can bestowed upon the victum. ;) ;)

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

OK, I see your point.

16. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.