Questions about the basic configuration of TDS-3

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by FanJ, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I have started this thread for questions about the basic configuration of TDS-3 as described in this thread:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2871

2. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi FanJ,
    I love TDS3, but I have one question can you scan a network drive?

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Loki,

Since I myself don't have a network, I guess it would be better to leave that question to one of the others (hope you don't mind).

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi, yes you can, "scan all logical drives" option; it won't scan other memories on the network.
    I don't mind double testing, so i have in the generic testing also the "anti-worm\hostile scripts" and sensitivity on highest, everything checked except the "scan NTSF".

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=105;start=0

See also this thread and especially not to forget the configurationscript, msagent aided :) for a swinging basic configuration!

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Loki, scanning network drives\paths is easy - just point TDS at \\server\share, or \\server\share\path, or \\server\share\path\file ... :)
    If you have the path mapped, then just point TDS at "T:\" (or whichever drive you mapped it to)

Best regards,
    Wayne

7. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks everyone for the help, I had been thinking there was a way but had little time until now to see. Then saw the post and thought I would ask those who know. :D :D. I have TDS3 set to scan everything. But I still got some good ideas from the post. :D Thanks again.
    Long Live The King ( TDS3 ). :D :D :D :D.

8. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i still think all tds tutorials shold be done like fan j tought me simple quick easy and straght to the point.

i love to see more stuff like that for us tds newbys.

compare fan j tutorial to tds read me and you will see a big difrence fan j example to geting started as a newby is the way to go.

im new to computer so seeing fan j explain it like that is truely great thx fan j

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

:D

You're quite welcome, Blaze ! Thanks to you too !!!

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Loki,
    in the Helpfile, there is the "configuration" and "my first scan" among others, which give very good initial and advanced explanation to know why you make your choices. I also have it set to scan everything on highest sensitivity and all logical drives from the network. If it's there, i like to use it :)

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

O BTW, at the bottom of the first screenshot that I posted, you might see something like this:

[CRC32] File doesn't exist: C:\WINDOWS\System\wsock32.dll

Don't worry about that line !

In case you might be interested in what has caused this:
    I have put that file wsock32.dll (together with a lot of other files) in my TDS3-CRC-file to warn me in case it might have been changed.
    I'm using a free utility called SockLock to protect my winsock somehow.
    And while using SockLock, the TDS3-CRC-feature tells me that wsock32.dll doesn't exist. But it really does exist; it's only that the TDS3-CRC-feature is not able to "read" that file when SockLock is enabled..

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Ah! sounds good Jan, any idea where i can look at that piece? Wasn't that mentioned in the general parts of the forum here or ..?

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Jan, that "doesn't excist" on my system is because it's located in other area and without SockLock gives the same line in testing the CRC.

If the file is help open by for instance SL, any scanner will tell "can't open file" or thing like that. So if you still want that file be opened for scanning, you'll have to close the process keeping it open.

15. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds Registered Member

Hello. Thank you Fan for your thorough ad clearly presented post on configuring TDS-3.

I am running Windows ME with IE6. I also have Zone Alarm and AVG anti-virus running all the time. Should I turn ZA and AVG off while running TDS-3?

16. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hi motdaugrnds,
    NEVER turn off your firewall
    Dolf

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Not necessary to turn of anti-virus/anti-trojan scanners nor firewalls when running TDS, should all be compatible.
    TDS-3 scans on demand and your other scanner is probably resident, while ZA/ZAPro protects also your email and is your firewall, which TDS is not.
    TDS would pick up intrusions and portscans, it would pick up the ones on the ports you told TDS to listen on, but then still it is no firewall.
    I would recommend though not to run a full system scan at the same time your anti-virus/anti-trojan is occupied with a full scan as those are the most heavy processes which can ask quite a lot of resources, so keep those apart.
    So there is no need to close TDS either while scanning though all your system with the other scanners.
    A firewall you only close when you really need space and when not online and during installing software (virus scanners too, btw for the space, not on or off when not online.)

18. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds Registered Member

Hello and sure am glad I found this forum. (Love the blue aesthetics by the way.)

I used Jan's configuration suggestions and then ran TDS-3 full scan. I have some questions about the findings:

1. Kept getting [CRC32] - ALERT - File has changed: C:\Windows\system.ini (Can anyone tell me what that means?)

2. In the "Full System Scan.txt" when seen via Notepad, it shows "Live Process Memory Space" as one of the items. However, in followign Jan's instructions (and because I'm running Windows ME), I had NOT checked the "Process Memory Sp-ace". (Can anyone explain that to me?)

3. While doing the configurations, I was doing the "Server Configuration" portion. My ISP is gamewood.net but I still do not know what to put there. And I don't know what port to put there; and I do not know what address, etc. This whole portion of the configuration is confusing to me. I will ask my ISP (Gamewood Data Systems) Monday.

19. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Mot:
    Welcome to TDS.

Your question re Server configurations, is NOT needed, only if you plan on using TDS as an SMTP email sender. [You can send emails from TDS]

Check out my configuration. You just put your ISP, etc. into the fields, and with Port 80 [web] like mine but using YOUR ISP's name, etc. then hit Test email and you should get an email from yourself.

Attached Files:

20. Tassie_Devils

Mot:
    2. In the "Full System Scan.txt" when seen via Notepad, it shows "Live Process Memory Space" as one of the items. However, in followign Jan's instructions (and because I'm running Windows ME), I had NOT checked the "Process Memory Sp-ace". (Can anyone explain that to me?)

OK. This Process memory space scan takes some time on start-up [when TDS starts up. Also I do not have it configured to auto start on computer reboot, I do that manually after rebooting to save some time], so most leave it unchecked. It still does a Memory scan, but not the full list of Processes you are running at the time of start-up.

You can manually select it yourself and see how long it takes.
    If you also select a "FUll Systenm scan" [as you should do at least once a week] it does the FULL scan of ALL process, etc. [go take a coffee break, usually about 7-15 minutes depending on your system]

see pic re my settings. [NT platform]

Attached Files:

21. Tassie_Devils

and again: sorry about getting them back to front.

1. Kept getting [CRC32] - ALERT - File has changed: C:\Windows\system.ini (Can anyone tell me what that means?)

OK. this means a configuration has changed something in your windows system.ini file [obviously] but as to what changes, is anybodys guess. What you could do is to open it in Notepad [it will do that] save a copy of it somewhere else other than it 'home' [maybe desktop] then if it happens again, reopen it and compare what was changed.

Personally I could not exactly tell you, but I and virtually everybody else inhere gets them ocassionally. I simply ignore it, as it sometimes might come up after installing a security patch/hotfix, etc. or installing a program.

If Wayne/Gavin/Jason get to view this thread after their break they could answer in depth about it.

Cheers

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

That's a great work you did Tassie_!
    I have all options checked, so my (manual, after Windows reboot finished) TDS startup scans take a little longer. For my Full system Scan it needs really more time, win98se is really not toooo quick and especially not on my system, as i have all logical drives from the network scanned and all there is in all the scan options and highest sensitivity and server/clients editors, all there is but the NTFS parts which normally don't run on win98se without specific drivers installed for that part.

The system.ini would be after some installs, security patches or a trojan could have climbed in the system, but keep it in the first place to other installs. But i would scan to the deepest if i knew not to have installed or patched anything nor changed any settings in my configuration.
    And i would look at PE for anything strange happening realtime and in the TDS > System Analysis > Process Lists for anything i'm unfamiliar with, in the netstat and autostart.
    After updating the Radius you will get an alert for that too, which makes me happy.

23. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

I also get the system.ini change pretty regular, but I am one of the lucky ones who knows why it is happening on their system. I am worse than a child when it comes to desktop themes and screensavers and constantly change them. Well, the screensaver is listed in that file, and I get the warning everytime I change.

Haven't seen anyone mention that, so I will add that to the conversation just in case you(or anyone else) happens to change savers frequently. Just one possibility for the change.

24. Tassie_Devils

Hi Vet:

Yes, that indeed does enlighten me. I just did a change, exited/restarted TDS and up it came.

That would explain why I get it sometimes, when I have not installed a patch/program but have within the last couple of days prior, played around with desktop.

thanks for the input. :)

25. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi Tassie_Devils,

Glad to have been able to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.