Questions about Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Francis93, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have individual sandboxes for my programs and folders. I created a Sandbox that will completely isolate my CD/DVD and USB drives, with Internet access and folder access restrictions. Now, with this method, my PC would be even more invulnerable to USB malware attacks because it somehow puts additional strength to Sandboxie's power. But what if I want to transfer files from my PC to USB? What if I want to recover selected files only from my USB? I don't want to temporarily disable or lift the blocked programs setting just to do it. I want the USB drives to be fully isolated but I want to transfer files vice versa. How?

Oh, another thing, Chrome has its own Sandbox with Internet access (chrome.exe) and start/run (chrome.exe, dllhost.exe, rundll32.exe) and folder access restrictions (read-only Windows folder). I can run Adobe Flash and PDF reader properly except for Java. Whenever I go to a site requiring Java, I am greeted with Sandboxie messages (Cannot start jp2launcher.exe due to restrictions, same as java.exe) and then the Java plugin crashes. Is there any way to properly run Java with total isolation, and full restrictions? I don't want to run Chrome out of Sandbox except for updating purposes. How?

Thanks

2. operamail

operamail Registered Member

1. CD/DVD or USB isolation = Folder isolation

2. It's not like running Windows Explorer inside sandboxie

3. Folder isolation will not affect your file transfer, such as copy/move/delete, ect.

4. When you execute a file, which is executable or should be opened with an executable file, that executable file will be sandboxed.

5. I don't use Chrome, so I can not answer the other one.

3. Francis93

Strange though, before, I had Sandboxie installed on another computer. USB drives were isolated and I tried to copy files from the computer to the USB inserted to the port. After inserting the USB to another computer, I noticed that the files I copied were not in the USB, as if they were caught and left inside the Sandbox of the other computer. :doubt:

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I added Desktop as my "quick recovery" folder so I can transfer files from USB to desktop, otherwise can not do it. Try it.

About Java, I dont use Chrome or Java but Java should work fine if you allow start/run/internet for the programs that SBIE is issuing a message.

Bo

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Unfortunately.... Java is weird. If you want Java to work you need to allow it to run in your Chrome sandbox.

6. Francis93

Got it. Thanks for the help guys. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.