Questions about remote access software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Victek, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

From time to time I need to help friends and family with there computer problems and I'm trying to simply the process of gaining access to their desktops. I've used different apps, such as CrossLoop and more recently Team Viewer and they've worked fine. The main problem is actually getting the software installed on the remote computer. It is often a nightmare walking people through the process of downloading and installing the app over the phone. Lately I've started emailing a download link, but even that is problematic since people can't even see the drop down bar in Internet Explorer that needs to be clicked on to actually start the download. Is there a web based service so I could just email a web address and simple logon? I wonder how others are dealing with this scenario and I'm open to suggestions. TIA

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

RealVNC, UltraVNC, any other VNC, LogMeIn, etc.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have a look at this today.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This is the level of simplicity I've been looking for. Are there any downsides to using Join Me in terms of privacy/security that you're aware of?

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From the FAQ:
    I've never used Join.me, but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere as well as at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-remote-access-software.htm.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to use Join.me for a while and see how it performs. I did a quick test with JM and one thing I noticed is it doesn't drop the color depth and make the wallpaper solid black like some remote access tools do. Replacing the picture wallpaper with black during the session does seem to improve performance.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.