Questions about Opera 9.64

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rmus, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I just downloaded it this evening and am running it along side of 8.5. A couple of issues:

1) The cache no longer lists file types:

op8-cache.gif

op9-cache.gif
    9.64​

If I want to look in the cache to look at certain file type from a site -- javascript pages, for example, I have no way of sorting by file type. Is there a way to enable filetypes to show?

2)Show Tool Tips

Opera 8 shows the link address next to the mouse when you hover the mouse over the link:

op8-mouse.gif

Opera 9 shows the link address in the status bar. Is there a way to make it display as in Op 8?

op9-mouse.gif

thanks,

----
    rich

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Not exactly an answer, but take a look at the Windows port of the "file" utility, can be useful for identifying file types.

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/file.htm

I got a demo on my site, check if you're interested.

It's a workaround, but might help. I'll check how Opera displays files in its cache later, see if I can "hack" something out.

Cheers,
    Mrk

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

4. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks - I added that to the .ini file but it doesn't change anything.

Nice utility - thanks.

Too bad there is not an option to "Open in other editor"

I'm not sure why Opera has eliminated showing the file types. It has gone down a level of usefulness to the way Firefox displays the cache. Type:

opera:cache

Of what use is this if you can't sort?

----
    rich

6. GlobalForce

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I still have Version 9.27(separate directory), which was the last version that listed the file types in cache.Note the "404 Not Found" which relates to the homepage, the late Castlecops site.(Must change the homepage to say, e.g. Wilders ) :) :D

Attached Files:

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  9. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Very interesting! He and I share the same complaint. He also mentions, as does Tarnak, that the way the cache files display w/o extension changed following v 9.27.

The utility mentioned by Pliskin seems to be the best solution for the latest versions of Opera.

Believe it or not, IE (at least in IE6) has the most useful cache because the original filenames are preserved:

ieCache1.gif

When testing a web site, it's very easy to retrieve a cached file, r-click and open the code in an editor:

ieCacheCWP.gif

Even the Opera utility mentioned by Pliskin takes several steps to get a file into an editor.

Thanks for that article. The Tool Tips line is already in my .ini file. The "Display Link Title" is not, but adding it does nothing.

EDIT: I found that it does: see Post #13 below.

I finally discovered that the solution is to not display the Status Bar. With it displayed, the Link Title shows there. W/O the Status bar, the Link Title displays where the mouse is hovering. I don't find this mentioned anywhere in Opera's Help. (But I may have missed it).

With v8.5. it doesn't matter what the state of the status bar is.

Another feature that changed is that single-key keyboard shortcuts and your custom key shortcuts in the keyboard.ini file are not enabled by default, so that you have to do so in Preferences.

I don't know who decides to change things, and why. Some developers must adhere to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough."

Well, that's that. Until the next missing feature is discovered...

Thanks for all of the help!

----
    rich

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. MrBrian

That's interesting. I use v9.64, with Status Bar on, and the address shows in the tooltip.

11. GlobalForce

Aboard my Nix setup it's the same - no addy with the status bar enabled. To note, the topic and url show when the links highlighted, not when I'm close (no highlight), then only the topic. I remember catching the status bar mention somewhere but failed to proof it till reading your confirmation.

12. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Maybe MrBrian can figure out what is different in our settings!

In Preferences|Advanced|Browsing, "Show Tooltips" controls the "Popup Button Help=" entry in the opera6.ini file.

In the article MrBrian referred to, there is also an entry you can add: "Display Link Title="

If this is set =0 (false) then Topic Titles do not display (but URLs do) - my preference, since I find them distracting when scrolling down a forum page. (It would be nice if a mouse gesture could selectively display a Topic Title).

However, another article pointed out that javascript in a web page can force Topic Titles. I find that "feature" at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security

Only disabling javascript will prevent the Topic Titles from displaying. But then you cripple other functions on the page!

There is also another entry in the opera6.ini file: "Show Address In Caption="

I have not discovered what this does.

Another new "feature" I find in v9.64 is an internal viewer for Page Source, as Netscape has always done. I prefer to open in a HTML editor, and it took a while to come upon the .ini file entry to enable that.

----
    rich

14. MrBrian

Offhand, I don't recall changing anything from defaults that would affect this. Are you using Win 2000? I am using XP SP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.