Questions about Look 'n' Stop

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Khaine, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

I need a firewall to go on my laptop running windows XP, normally I would install Kerio 2.15, but it has some issues with being suspended and such. All of the firewalls I've looked at so far do not meet my needs, their do not offer a simple and clean interface which allows highly customisable rules. I have narrowed my choice down to Tiny and Look 'n' Stop and I want to ask a few questions to help in my decision:

1) Kerio 2.x loads the ruleset into memory from startup, and uses that as a trusted source, at shutdown it replaces the version on the hard drive with the version from memory to stop rule tampering, does Look 'n' Stop do something similar ?

2) Can someone explain the reasoning for splitting the application based rules from the other rules ?

3) Is their a roadmap in place ? I know that most commercial companies do not release their roadmaps, and this is one of the reasons I like open source software so much. But I like being able to see what the future holds.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi Khaine,

1) yes Look'n'Stop does like this too

2) I think it's a preference, there is "application-based" firewalls, and "rule-based" firewalls, such as Look'n'Stop.
    The advantages of rule-based is that you can fully customize the filtering rules
    with any options you would like (TCP flags, TTL, MAC addresses, ICMP Type & Code, etc...). In fact with the RawRule plugin, you have access to any field of the entire packet header.

3) I don't know if there is a roadmap, you should ask to Frederic for that.

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.