questions about firewall settings and operation

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zfactor, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

see the allow or deny for the programs? is there not somewhere i can simply see the list of programs and then click deny if i temp want to disable that app from connecting in or out WITHOUT using interactive rules? my sister and her husband just bought ess v5 and are getting frustrated since they either cant see the apps list for the firewall or have to use interactive and are getting hammered with pop ups. please advise i hope they didnt make a mistake.. thank you

2. zfactor

Re: okay using default firewall setting how can i

okay am i right here. set it to learn and everything is pretty much auto for the first time each program gets opened or updated then i can change it over?? but if i disable the pop up notification so they are not bothered with it how or where can i re-enable it in the gui? i am looking now and i might just be missing it.

i actually just picked up 5 3user boxed retail from newegg myself since they have a GREAT deal on them right now. i may switch back at this price and i may have the wife buy another 5 so we are covered for a while lol (we have 10 or more systems we need to buy for lol) though id be torn between avats and this..

3. zfactor

firewall questions

i want more than just outbound control i want to be able to at times turn off allowed connection of certain programs to the net (app control) the only way i see to do this is in learning mode or custom rules...correct?? i am currently in learning mode and i see the app control now but after ess learns all the rules and i create a few of my own can i then go back to auto or do i have to remain in learning mode. i am installing this on the wife's and mother in law's systems and they would have no idea what to allow or not to. is this the correct way to accomplish what i want to?

will eset please add simple app control to the next version? just a simple allow/deny even when under auto mode would be awesome for people like this who dont know what to answer.

thanks

4. msantana68

msantana68 Registered Member

Re: firewall questions

I second this. Version 4 had simple app control. Am I missing something here? I scoured the settings and can't find anything. Played with hips setting but that gave me pop ups on app activity but not internet access. I have the firewall set on interactive but it is letting every app access the internet with no prompts.

5. patch

patch Registered Member

Re: firewall questions

Auto with exceptions is probably what you want

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.